Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Rebbi, Regarding your comments about the frontal plane of the sound v the frontal plane of the speakers, and Tvad re your view supporting Rebbi's definition of 'holography', in my limited experience I have found that putting sound out in front of the plane of the speakers is more related to speaker design (I have only experienced this phenom with a horn/cone hybrid and it a general soundfield attached to most recordings. But it was facinating especially with that old Carver 9 holograpy machine in the loop).

But I have only heard 'holography' (my version) with cones and a few recordings, but I haven't heard horns in many years - certainly not since I developed a lot more sophistication about this process. Wish I had those old horns back so I could listen to see if they would sound better than cone drivers in this respect.

Oh well, too much too doo about seeing rare birds. :-)
" I have found that putting sound out in front of the plane of the speakers is more related to speaker design (I have only experienced this phenom with a horn/cone hybrid and it a general soundfield attached to most recordings. But it was fascinating especially with that old Carver 9 holograpy machine in the loop). "

I have heard it to a huge extent recently in a dealer showroom using Krell 400xi integrated driving either Martin Logan electrostats or Focal dynamic/cone designs. Which speaker made little difference.

I think it had something to do largely with room acoustics as well, in other words, the portion of the room behind and to the sides of me was "hot" or very lively in relation to the area behind the speaks.
Yes, it is the recording, the rig, the room, the speakers, their placement, state of the power, even the weather and last not least our ears and what is between them. Which does what is devilishly difficult to pinpoint and the more experienced you are the more unsure you become. Just like real life, ain't it? (:
I agree with Detlof but I'd like to add that once ones equipment and the recorded music and room is capable of the holographic image, speaker placement is paramount.

I have an absolutely beautiful 3-d sonic hologram image with my electrostics. When my housekeeper just nudges them ever so slightly (i'm talking 1/4 inch...), that image is grossly effected.
Only too true Cerrot. Luckily my stators are too heavy to be moved by housekeepers. Wished I had some, h.-keepers that is.(: