Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Yes, it is the recording, the rig, the room, the speakers, their placement, state of the power, even the weather and last not least our ears and what is between them. Which does what is devilishly difficult to pinpoint and the more experienced you are the more unsure you become. Just like real life, ain't it? (:
I agree with Detlof but I'd like to add that once ones equipment and the recorded music and room is capable of the holographic image, speaker placement is paramount.

I have an absolutely beautiful 3-d sonic hologram image with my electrostics. When my housekeeper just nudges them ever so slightly (i'm talking 1/4 inch...), that image is grossly effected.
Only too true Cerrot. Luckily my stators are too heavy to be moved by housekeepers. Wished I had some, h.-keepers that is.(:
Though it might be an anthema to those who fancy omni-directional (or those trying to aproximate that goal) speakers, I can't help but wonder what omni's might sound like in a heavily treated room that would mitigate the surrounding reflections.
I know no one believes me but the electronics play a greater role in imaging than any of you or I believed. If you get a chance to hear the H-Cat amp, perhaps at the RMAF, you will know what I mean. I thought with my careful set up, speaker placement, vibration control, and room treatments in an already good sounding room that I had excellent imaging and close to realism. I won't say that I have absolute realism now, but I was only about half way before.