Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
I have noticed that sometimes when I increase the volume level, besides the sound getting louder, the soundstage seems to get bigger. Despite what might appear to be an obvious deduction, I don't necessarily get the impression that I am actually closer.
You would agree that the act of moving away from a sound source makes the frequency/pitch appear lower?

Roger
Roger_paul (Answers)
I do agree yes, but in your concert hall illustration, I do not agree that it would be perceptible by any human.
Roger,

I understand your descriptions of Doppler effect in regards to sound waves propagating outside of the amp, nothing new there, but not how the same thing occurs in the electrical domain within the amp.

Atmasphere's questions seem relevant.

Wikipedia section on amplifiers talks about a lot of things including use of negative feedback but Doppler is not mentioned.
Roger, do you have a patent on this Doppler correcting technology in electrical circuits?

A Google search did not return any articles pertaining to Doppler in electrical circuits, so you must be onto something unique. If so, it'd seem prudent to obtain a patent, yes?
Unsound, Tvad,

You’re right the concert hall was not meant to imply a change in perspective by switching seats. Just that it was convenient to illustrate changes in distance from the sound object and how it does impact the pitch as your movement occurs. And yes it would be below the threshold of human perception to actually hear a change in pitch as you are walking from front to back or vice versa. But the principal still applies. The 3 locations, front row, 10th row and 20th row represent relative settings in gain which if you were to “jump” between them would in fact throw off the perceived pitch.

Atmasphere,

Thank you for your response. The speed of the amplifier you refer to (slew rate) only addresses the “vertical” speed of the amplifier circuit. What I am referring to with velocity is the lateral or horizontal speed of the circuit. IOW my interest is in the manner that a given input signal travels from input to output and more importantly is it (the velocity) constant.

Regards,

Roger