Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Shadorne,
Agreed, the bigger a-Capellas though will give you a very natural sound, but they are expensive. I found that the Sound Lab U-1PX makes for a good compromise. They have good dynamics and dispersion and if properly placed, image very well.
Tbg wrote: "Pubul57 and Audiokinesis, I refuse to concede that reproduced music should be allowed to differ from real..."

AudioKinesis responds: Kindly refrain from making "straw man" arguments. That's where you attribute to the other person something that he did not actually say, and then argue against it.
Audiokinesis, you say,"Years ago one of Stereophile's writer offered some perspective that I think is worth passing along, only I can't find the exact quote. But it went something like this:"I am not so much interested in WHERE the musicians are on the stage as I am in WHY they are on the stage."

Perhaps, I misunderstood why you quoted this.

No strawman argument here.
Tbg, I can see now how you misunderstood me.

Holographic localization of sound sources is not part of live music under most circumstances, but natural timbre and dynamics certainly are. Now I have nothing against holographic imaging, but it has never been part of my experience of "real music", so like the Stereophile writer I do not give it equal priority with other things like natural timbre and dynamics.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
It's not a tube vs. SS thing. Put ARC and Rowland side by side and you may notice some very small imaging differences, but one won't be "holographic" and the other not.

Dave
Dcstep (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)
My experience with VAC, Atma-Sphere and Lamm tube gear as compared to McCormack, Bryston, Belles, Pass Labs, Channel Islands, NuForce and Bel Canto solid state (or digital gear) leads me to believe otherwise.

I have to go with what I've heard.

Now, having just owned an ARC Reference 3 preamp, I agree it does not create a holographic image. Nothing as compared to the Atma-Sphere MP-1 or Lamm LL2 Deuxe preamps I owned.