Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Tvad said:
"Now, having just owned an ARC Reference 3 preamp, I agree it does not create a holographic image. Nothing as compared to the Atma-Sphere MP-1 or Lamm LL2 Deuxe preamps I owned."

So you're saying that you prefer the Atma-Sphere and Lamm to the ARC??

Dave
Duke, I agree with you and what seems strange to me is the value we (me too) place on "holographic" effects in our stereos when they don't seem to be part of the live experience to my ears. I suspect the reason is that in live music you can see the performers, you don't need auditory clues for localization, you simply see it - we may be trying to make up for that.
So you're saying that you prefer the Atma-Sphere and Lamm to the ARC?

Dave
Dcstep (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

Yes. I also preferred the Lamm L2 Reference to the ARC Reference 3 in my system.

In my system.

I cannot speak for what others might prefer.
No recording will ever capture the same spatial cues and no system will ever present them to you equivalently as occurred when your ears registered them live. So I believe its a pipe dream to think that any system is doing this accurately.

Given this, I believe its each person's choice regarding how they prefer the musical image to be presented to them, holographically or otherwise. Choose your technology and resulting distortions of preference...in the end its our individual perceptions and opinions that makes the real difference in regards to musical enjoyment or no.