Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Question: is referring to 3D quality in fact a marketing trick?

Chris
Dazzdax (Threads | Answers)
Not in my experience with (most) tube gear in my system.
How do you know when something is a marketing "trick?" Until recently I have found many tube amps that give a great sense of having depth to the image. Some were more able to have depth on the sides while some only had it in the center.

Some ss amps, such as the Cello and the little 47 Labs 25 watter did not have as much depth but retained in on the sides. The Exemplar had great depth in the center but less on the sides.

I guess I would agree that there was greater probability that tube had depth to their sound stage. But that is not the issue.
If depth (and width) of sound stage is not at the very heart of the topic of holographic imaging, then I am at a complete loss regarding the question.
In my experience Tube equipment does give instrument tones and textures approaching 3d as compared to SS. (The primary reason I switched to all tube equipment). The 3 dimensional sound stage enhancement ( as compared to SS) that is needed to be holographic, I have not experienced that much in my all tube system. May be it is room dependent. My old SS gear probably had more of the 3d sound stage but not 3d instruments, but then tonal balance suffered in the process

I tend to think the claim of that German preamp proabably more alluding to the 3d instruments sound than the 3d sound stage.

I almost want to say that if you have perfect 3D sound stage on a regular basis, you might have imperfect (thinnish mids) tonal balance. IME of course.
I read my post again and thought few clarifications are called for. Tubes does give you the 3D sound stage but not artificially deep, wide or etched and 'holographic' the way term means to me.