how much would you say a good set up cost

ok, we all have gear, but now days, what price do you think you have to spend to have a real good system. not over kill, just good equipment, good sound stage. all around mid to mid high. I'm saying at least 30-35 thousand gets you in that level. I was talking the other day with some friends and we never put a price on our gear. you always get this piece now then that later. but have you ever sat down and figured out just what you paid for your system. I was shocked when i did it.
ltleo74
Tvad's 10k system (Merlin,Ars, Rega) would be very, very good and comparable to most anything out there except for full range bass - but that system combo is one I would hghly endorse for bang for the buck.
"...except for full range bass" is the sticking point with most sub $10k systems, IMO.

Perhaps a pair of Audiokinesis Jazz Modules or Klipschorns driven by used Atma-Sphere M-60/MP-3 and a $1k CD player...
$30K or so seems about right for an entry-level High-end System.

My current rig sounds great @ $31.4K
Krell SACD Standard MK3: $6K
PASS X1: $5.9K
PASS X250.5: $7.5K
Wilson Sophia: $12K

I had a tough time trying to get to this level of performance for less.
$30K is ridiculous as a minimum startup figure given the qualifications of the original post for what a 'good system' revealed, IMHO. One can get a damn rewarding system, especially on the used market for under 5 figures. I'd reiterate that a bad room can ruin both a $3k system or a $30K system or a $100K system. I mention that as many folks see the room as outside of the "system". View it as you may in or out of the chain, and as high or low in the hierarchy as you may think; it can make or break a system.
The answer to this question is much simpler than most want to make it. A good set up costs just a little more than you've already spent. Any disagreements?

All kidding aside, a decent system can be built for $2-3K, though it will have sonic limitations. I believe a VERY good, full range system can be put together for around $6-7K which includes all the electronics, accessories and basic room treatments. To hit this price point requires buying used AND waiting for the right deals to come up. But it can be done, though what is "good" is quite relative.

As has been said ad infinitum, one of the most important elements is the room involved. Making the wrong room work is a pricey proposition which will skew anyone's pricing guesstimate.

Nothing earth shattering here, but I literally spent several years pondering this very subject in detail. After a long hiatus I'm putting the finishing touches on a new (but all used) system, so have a lot of recent experience from which to draw. For whatever that's worth.