quiet hiss in backround?

i have a quiet hissing from speakers when no music is playing and i am sure it is there when music is on but hard to hear. it drives me crazy! i always attributed it to normal noise from my amplifier but i wonder what you folks think? is it a power issue? the amp is a krell fpb600c, dedicated line, no power conditioning (a small quiet line by audio prism (parallel power line filter) is all. is this normal?
richard_stacy
Me too. However there are probably 1-2 hiss/hum questions a day so maybe everyone is burnt out. You could try re-posting with a more grabbing title. Put Krell in the question and pose the title as a challenge. Like "My Krell hisses, help diagnose & suggest silent comparable amps". That will get a big group of people reading it.
true and kind of funny! people here love to hate on krell. not sure why that is although i suspect it is the size of the company and how long they have been around. time tends to bring out haters....they also love to hate on wilson and funny how i ended up with both!
mike i also have no intention of replacing it. i love the sound of it and would live with the subtle hiss before i moved to another amp. i do hate the size and weight and hope to never pick it up again.
It's easier to hate than love. Anything SS will immediately garner haters from tube lovers, and Krell seems to embody everything they hate about SS. I think that's because it is so SS. Krell just doesn't make any effort to take the edge off and appeal to people in the middle like Ayre, Rowland, Levinson. etc. They simply don't care and instead are intent on exploring what SS can do and do well.

Wilson garners hate because they are expensive, well known, popular, and specifically engineered to sound good at the expense of what some people feel is a sacrifice in realism. Did you ever hear anyone in High school refer to the hottest girl like this: "She's hot, but .....". That's because they're jealous and they know she won't go out with them, so they make themselves feel better by bringing her down.

For me I see the merits of it all. Tubes and SS both do different things well. It doesn't mean one has to be better than the other. Speakers are the same. Wilsons do sound good. So do others and they're all different.

I bought a high quality dolly, and some furniture dollies so I don't have to pick stuff up. That way I can keep trying different things though I do admit to leaning to smaller pieces when given the opportunity. I don't want to find that forever piece because I'm having too much fun. I do admit to being slightly jealous when I find someone who has. :)
More to discover