are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
03-28-09: Kijanki
Tvad - it's a trade off. I asked the question because I plan to upgrade my
speakers. Getting lower end (lower than necessary?)

Define necessary. My definition of necessary is 30Hz at minimum. Lower if
possible.

... will cut on definition, imaging etc (within the same
price range).

I cannot agree with this. Definition and imaging are not tied to price. In other
words, one need not spend a large sum to get full range bass, outstanding
definition and excellent imaging. I have heard Vandersteen 3A Reference
speakers which sell for about $1500 used. They have incredible definition and
imaging, and they go down to 20Hz. Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE go down
to 16Hz, and sell for about $2500 used. They have stunningly good bass,
definition and imaging.

There are many other examples. You just have to do some homework.
Tvad - you have much more experience with audio gear than I do, but it seems to me that there is some correlation between quality of the speaker and its price tag. Good transducers are expensive (tweeters included) and designer have certain constrains. Mentioned Lipinski's speakers (with "jaw dropping" imaging) would cost much more with extended bottom end.

I'm just saying that 30Hz doesn't come free and there might be better use for the money if music that you listen to doesn't require absolutely faithful reproduction of organs or double bassoon. I don't see how difference between 40 and 30Hz can change playback of bass guitar - I don't question it does, but just trying to understand it.
03-28-09: Kijanki
...it seems to me that there is some correlation between quality of the speaker and its price tag.

Listening to just the two speakers I mentioned previously will prove otherwise.

I don't see how difference between 40 and 30Hz can change playback of bass guitar - I don't question it does, but just trying to understand it.
Kijanki (Threads | Answers)

IMO, you would be wise to listen to a wide array of full range speakers using familiar source material that you play on your less-than-full-range speakers, rather than basing your judgment on what you think you should hear based on your interpretation of frequency response charts.

The difference and benefit will be immediately evident.
Tvad & Kijanki -- I think that you are both basically right, and the key to reconciling your points of view is that bass volume and bass distortion have to be factored in, as well as bass extension (which may be specified on a small signal basis, and may be specified without meaningful specs on distortion at high volume).

And I think you'll both agree that providing bass that is simultaneously clean, undistorted, deep, and high in volume, requires big drivers (at least 10-12 inches, or else equivalent multiple smaller drivers), which means bigger cabinets, and both the larger drivers and the larger cabinets tend to result in higher cost if quality is not sacrificed.

Regards,
-- Al
Tvad - I'm just trying to understand what makes the difference. As for the lack of correlation between price and quality - are you saying there is none and everything is just random? Can one purchase $1k speaker as good as $50k speaker?