are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
I say the $800 Emotiva would make an excellent subwoofer amplifier. Buy the Mac for your Ushers, and the Emotiva for your new passive. Now everyone except your wife is happy and you're broke... just the way it should be :)
"*where* should I spend my money?"

Dude: You REALLY need some real cabling!!!
Wallmart interconnects & zip cord do not match up with even your cheapest componentry. Get real!
Danmyers, I live ln a smoke, animal, children and
wife free environment, but my adult children worry there wont be anything left.
However Ajackson, my place is not Jack free, and I noitced as the evening progressed everybody begin to express themselves more freely.
Bob, I don't know what to say about the connects, I guess that is something to look at in the future, I just have problems paying $500 for 6ft. piece of wire. Thanks
"I just have problems paying $500 for 6ft. piece of wire"

We all have that problem, but there is a reason that the vast majority of us ultimately do, and that reason has nothing to do with excessive wads of long green burning holes in our pockets.