are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
"*where* should I spend my money?"

Dude: You REALLY need some real cabling!!!
Wallmart interconnects & zip cord do not match up with even your cheapest componentry. Get real!
Danmyers, I live ln a smoke, animal, children and
wife free environment, but my adult children worry there wont be anything left.
However Ajackson, my place is not Jack free, and I noitced as the evening progressed everybody begin to express themselves more freely.
Bob, I don't know what to say about the connects, I guess that is something to look at in the future, I just have problems paying $500 for 6ft. piece of wire. Thanks
"I just have problems paying $500 for 6ft. piece of wire"

We all have that problem, but there is a reason that the vast majority of us ultimately do, and that reason has nothing to do with excessive wads of long green burning holes in our pockets.
Don,

I'm with you and don't believe in spending a lot for cables. That said, I have Kimber Hero interconnects, which are fairly well regarded and on the low end of the audiophile spending spectrum. I got my speaker wire at an estate sale for cheap. Don't know who made them, but they are extremely well made 10 or 12 gauge and nicely lugged.

If I was buying new interconnects today I'd probably go with http://www.bluejeanscable.com/. Very reasonable prices for low capacitance cable. Speaker wire? I prefer solid conductor, but not for any audio reason, just a thought that solid conductors transmit the signal more cleanly. As long as they don't get moved much, solid center conductor wire/cable is fine.

Let us know what you decide,

Dan