What's wrong? Nuforce/Capri no better than Sunfire

Preface: this is regarding 2 channel analogue SQ.
OK. I know it's very early in the comparison process, and I've "only" critically listened for 2-3 hours. But whereas listening to speakers has shown clear differences (to a point), and the move up the B&W ladder from 9NTs to N803s was SIGNIFICANT, I'm at a loss on the amp/preamp. The jump from my old $4k Pioneer flagship HT rcvr to the Sunfire TGA5200 was very significant. Less significant but noticeable was the jump from the Pio as preamp to the Sunfire TGP5 as pre. I then read a lot about how a good 2 channel pre would crush an HT pre/pro. So I got the Jeff Rowland Capri. Have listened for quite some time and struggled mightily to justify the Capri, but I just don't hear ANY major improvement. Maybe some VERY subtle things, but I can't even be sure of that. I also read that a good 2 channel amp would crush a multi-channel amp. So I just picked up the Nuforce ref 9SEv2, and I've gone back and forth with the TGA5200, unscientifically, but again, I don't hear any major difference, whether through the Capri or the Sunfire TGP5. Am I just missing "golden ears" and reached the audio equivalent of the Peter Principal" (rising to my level of incompetence)? Is the Sunfire stuff just that good? Is the old claim that all good amps/preamps should sound similar true? It just strikes me as odd that so many people on these audio boards hear huge differences and I don't. What's wrong?
jeffkad
Just to satisfy your curiosity,and mine,audition the NuForce with the Dodd pre amp.
Tvad, actually, you've got it wrong bud. I'm not tortured at all, just surprised. If you've been following along, I consistently say that I'm loving the sound, whichever combo is playing it. I'm just sharing my experience. And, I haven't listened to and enjoyed this much music in a long time, so it really is all good. OK, Pal? Now, aside from that little repartee, you often give good advice. Fact is, your advice long ago in a previous thread was that you didn't think the Nuforce would be a big deal since, spec wise, it didn't compete with the Sunfire, which could double down at 4/2ohms. The B&W's impedance can dip to 2-3 ohms, so the talents of the Nuforce may not be readily apparent or significant compared to the sunfire. You may have been correct all along. But thats why I'm sharing, just as I find other's experiences helpful.

Markwatkiss, I will definitely try the Dodd if and when I swap with me fellow Long Islander. I'm also curious whether the Nuforce/Capri will make a difference in his system.
I have been following all along, and frankly you're repeated description of not
being able to discern differences in gear comes across as frustration
bordering on torture. At least it reads that way to me.

Clearly, I have a barrier comprehending the positive nature of your journey.

No problem. I appreciate the clarification.

PS...sometimes differences aren't heard because we don't know what to
listen for. Once we're educated about what to hear, and after we've heard
what we've been taught to hear, then subsequent differences among
components become more obvious. At least this has been my learning
experience.

Differences that once were "inaudible" suddenly become more
pronounced, and in some listeners result in those "jaw dropping", A-Ha!
moments. Audiophiles' "Wow!" differences are often laypersons' "Huh?"
differences...if that makes any sense.

Have fun!
"Clearly, I have a barrier comprehending the positive nature of your journey."

LOL. Tvad, that's pretty funny! We're cool. (Can a 51 yr old still use language like that?)

I think that the torture aspect may be more the reader's own, as anyone reading is likely an audio enthusiast who probably cringes at the thought that such good equipment renders little or no difference. Yes, I'll admit it was initially frustrating, but I rationalize and get over these things quickly, especially since, and I repeat, the music sounds great. So, I don't mind continuing the adventure as it's actually enjoyable, and I still hold out hope that maybe there's an AHHA moment still to come, alas maybe with other equipment.

Your point regarding "knowing what to listen for" is an interesting one, and one that was brought up by a reviewer friend of mine. Perhaps I need that education, but what bothers me about that is, why do I need to "learn" to notice what I "should" be noticing? I can't help but wonder why it isn't more obvious. Do I really have to work THAT hard to "learn" the difference? Is there no gear that makes it obvious? I can't believe that all the posters here on agon had to learn how to hear. Just my opinion.
why do I need to "learn" to notice what I
"should" be noticing? I can't help but wonder why it isn't more
obvious.
Jeffkad (Threads | Answers)

IMO, differences are often not obvious, and it takes someone listening along
with you to point out the differences. Once you hear and recognize them,
then future observations become easier and more pronounced.

However, many posters here discerned differences on their own and right
away, but I'll bet listening with someone more experienced along the way
highlighted other more subtle aspects that became more important as the
listener moved up the equipment food chain.

BTW, there's a certain benefit to enjoying what you have and not hearing
obvious differences among components. I guarantee you once you start
hearing subtleties, your bank account is going to shrink. Careful what you
wish for.