Audio Research Ref 5 preamp

Hi,

I currently own the ARC Ref 3. I know its early, but I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to do a comparison of the new ARC Ref 5 compared to the ARC Ref 3 and if so, what are the sonic differences that you heard. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
128x128babybear
Both set-ups at RMAF 2009 with Ref 5 were fantastic. One with Vandersteen Model 7 and the other with the Wilson Sashas. Both had a complete stack of Audio Research Reference components: CD8, Ref 5, Ref 2 Phono, and Ref 110 amp.
I agree with Sdrenslow that the ARC gear sounded good - especially on the Vandys. I am not a fan of the ARC Ref 3 (even with Vandy 5A), but I'm guessing the Ref5 is better since I loved the sound at the show.
just to throw some more mud in the water. I decided to purchase a slightly used Ref 3 over a Ref 5 after a head to head comparison in my home system (Ref 210s, Vandersteen 5As, Ref Phono, Oracle turntable, etc.). I was previously using a Ref 2 Mk 1 so the step to a Ref 3 was quite revolutionary (with my latest system). note: the Ref 2 MkI mated really well with my older VT-100 MkII of the same era and has convinced my that importance of system synergy in that context... Perhaps that initial impression was enough to convince me that the Ref 3 was good enough. I did hear a "smoother" top end with the Ref 5 on some recordings, but by and large the differences were not significant enough for me to purchase the Ref 5 at this time. I do want to audition the Ref Phono2 at some time, which many have told me provides a more significant performance jump over the Ref Phono (as compared to a Ref 5 / Ref 3). In the end, it comes down to personal preference as many have said and what value one places on what one hears in their particular system.