Setup vs. Amp/Preamp choice?

Which do you value more?

I've read endless questions re: which amp, preamp,or integrated is best with which speakers. I believe most of that discussion is nonsense for most equipment. True, there are certain electrical synergies between amps and speakers that are important, and preamps certainly sound different. But the absolutely critical factors in determining what a system will sound like are: 1. your own likes and dislikes and 2. setup. I have heard great gear sound terrible and average gear sound fantastic - it really depends on how things were set up in a particular listening room. I've heard people describe a particular integrated amp as having as small soundstage - In my room and with my speakers, the soundstage was vast. I've heard people describe the sound of certain gear as shrill or unlistenable - Well perhaps it is in their setup, but what does that tell me about how it will sound in my room?

Many of you who ask for advice about gear place inordinate value on subjective opinions of individuals with varying tastes, hearing ability, prejudices, rooms and setups. That is completely absurd: The only way to judge how a piece of equipment will sound is to test it in your room after proper setup. And small changes in speaker placement can make a huge difference. So stop running around like a bunch of maniacs who have to switch equipment every few months in search of nirvana, and concentrate on setting up your system properly. That's where the greatest reward is (for everyone except dealers).

Do you agree?
msratty
Msratty, as most here can not grasp most others rooms/ setup (though the efforts most certainly exist) never mind others taste, what do you suggest we discuss here? Your point is a given here. You've got a lot of nerve taking that tone with us.

Do you agree?
I can't quite follow the OP. Do you have a question? Or are you trying to tell everyone they are a bunch of maniacs that hold endless discussions?

Do you agree?

Agree to what?

And exactly how does your post different from other endless discussions? Or are you one of us maniacs?
The point I'm trying to make is quite simple.

Spend as much time trying out any equipment you want to buy - in your own room (not in a showroom or in a friend's room). Move the speakers a few inches this way and that way, move your listening position, balance reflective and absorptive room materials, check AC polarity, try out different cables, etc. There is no simple way to do this - it takes time and effort. Many of you will be surprised at how your old system, that you may have grown tired of, has now come to life.

A friend of mine has Mac electronics and speakers that set him back about $25k. He couldn't wait to invite me to hear it. He was using a $150 cdp to show me how good it sounds! The speakers were directly in front of a large bay window, with one speaker near a side wall and the other firing into a large open space. There were reflective surfaces everywhere and no damping material (no carpets, sofas, etc) whatsoever. The electronics were right next to the speakers. Needless to say, the sound was dreadful. I tried to tell him that I thought his system was capable of more, and he assured me he was going to replace the $150 cdp with a $5k tubed player. I'll bet the sound of his system won't improve a great after his purchase.

He'd be better off saving his money and fixing the "setup."

Agreed?
Relax, people. I'm not trying to take your toys away. I'm just asking you to chill out, enjoy what you've got and spend your time listening to the music (rather than obsessing over gear). You'll be a lot happier and richer.
i believe that 'much' of what drives audiophiles to constantly upgrade, downgrade, gather and purge, is more about whats going on in their heads, then what they are actually hearing.