Next step: tube pre or tube power amp?

I own a Rotel pre/pro RSP-985 SS preamp and a matching Rotel 120 watt power amp. If I wanted to move into tubes, would I get better mileage out of a tube pre or tube power amp?

I love the convenience of the rotel preamp (remote, built in DACS etc) but I understand that a tube pre will have more impact than just a tube power amp. Is this correct?

Also, my speakers are 91db efficient. What wattage tube power amp would I need to drive them to medium/loud levels?

thanks

Steve
stevecuss
Hi Folks,

thanks again for all your feedback and I know the world of tubes is both complex and opinionated. I'm a guitarist and a tube snob when it comes to guitar tone, so I assume I'd also prefer tube sound in my listening. For guitar, there is simply no comparison.

But, budget remains the primary constraint and I'll be easing my way in. My primary source is hard drive, so a good DAC will be key. I'm also going to look into integrated tube amps as an alternative. Some of the Jolidas get good reviews as does the new Peachtree Nova. I don't think I'll have the budget for full tube separates at this point, so this may ne a good next step.

Also, I'm fortunate to live in Denver, so I'll be at RMAF next month and should get tons of good info then.
Check out the used Mesa Baron just listed for sale.

No affiliation with the seller.
You could always try a nice tube integrated. That will allow you to see if you like the tube sound.

I am currently using a will vincent modded dynaco st70 and classe dr6 preamp (said to be somewhat tubelike) and love the combo.

I also have a bryston 3b st amp, but I prefer the soundstage and musicality the dynaco provides.

I did not like my dynaco much with a set of inexpensive el 34 tubes but after a switch to genelex kt66 repops it sounds great.( It is fun to tube roll and change the sound of your gear)

If you go amp or preamp I would go amp first with a kt88, or 6550 based power tube. Those tubes will give you a hint of the tube sound without being too "warm".
Hi Folks,

I like the idea of a tube integrated and I'm looking at the Jolida 302b - looks like a great entry level tube amp and its quite modifiable. I'll also look at some of the other chinese outfits - ming da and Cayin etc and start saving my pennies.

best wishes

Steve
Steve - I had an Acoustic Plan SItar (hybrid integrated) a nice option to get the best from both worlds, Pathos has also some interesting options in that route.