Next step: tube pre or tube power amp?

I own a Rotel pre/pro RSP-985 SS preamp and a matching Rotel 120 watt power amp. If I wanted to move into tubes, would I get better mileage out of a tube pre or tube power amp?

I love the convenience of the rotel preamp (remote, built in DACS etc) but I understand that a tube pre will have more impact than just a tube power amp. Is this correct?

Also, my speakers are 91db efficient. What wattage tube power amp would I need to drive them to medium/loud levels?

thanks

Steve
stevecuss
I cannot believe that this whole discussion went by without anybody asking his room size, the kind of music he listens to and how loud? Those were the major considerations for me when I decided I wanted to go back to separates. For example, I have a 28x15x7 room, I like orchestral/organ music and I sometimes like it loud. For me to add tube power amps, we would be talking something along the lines of VTL Wotans (or the like), which are very expensive.

I bought an Audible Illusions 3. Hooked it up to my Pioneer receiver pre in/out circuit, which disconnected everything but the power amp section, and used the Modulus as a control amp. Never looked back. Also a preamp is not really speaker sensitive while a power amp is and must be matched to your speakers. Now I have Quickies V4's and the AI M3A. Just my 2 cents.
10-20-09: Drjjpdc
I cannot believe that this whole discussion went by without anybody asking his room size, the kind of music he listens to and how loud?
While the questions were not asked directly, the issues were touched on in several posts, and there doesn't seem to be any complaint from the OP about the advice offered thus far.
I'm very happy with the response so far, but to answer your questions, my room size is 15 by 25 or so (open family room/kitchen layout) and is highly compromised by non musical needs. Currently, the best listening position for the music is while washing dishes, which no doubt makes my wife happy (ie, it motivates me to wash dishes....)

My favorite music is acoustic based (Allison Kraus, Nickel Creek, Buddy Miller and Lyle Lovett would be my top 4) and good rock and blues comes in second, but I have a broad palette - jazz, classical, broadway etc all work as well.

As a DIYer, I'm exploring buying an old Dynaco ST70 and restoring/modding it. Alternatively, I heard the new Jolida FX series of tube integrated amps and was very impressed for their $450 price tag.

best wishes
I bought a tube processor from Grant's Fidelity in Calgary ALberta.

It solved my obsession with acquiring the perfect sound, now my kit sounds 'good enough for the girls I go with'and even good enough for me

And now, I can happily surf the sites, without lusting after the latest, greatest, tubiest or whatever