Describe the ideal high end audio dealership

Please describe, in detail ,your personal opinion as to what the ideal high end audio dealership would be. Sales/demo policies, store atmosphere/layout, trade ins/ trade ups, ect. What products interest you the most?

Are you more drawn to brand new designs? The Presence of large statement pieces on display? The reassuring presence of well established and familiar lines? What about newer lines that appear promising?

What characteristics would your ideal hi end audio dealership possess? What bothers you most?

Do you prefer the traditional brick and mortar storefront or a more personal approach offered by the home based dealership/appointment structured store?

Describe what you feel, in your personal opinion, are the greatest positive attributes of your favorite dealerships.

This thread is intended for the hobbyist consumers, not dealers or manufacturers.
chris74
I like the brick and mortar store. I have been buying these black boxes for 50 years or so, and have often wondered why the store completes their sale and never gets back with suggestions of a new upgrade, component, or accessory that would improve the customer's system. I have always found that I get generic clearance bulletins, etc after the sale, but no continued personal interest in my evolving system. It would be so easy to keep the buyers system on file and when an appropriate upgrade is available for the store to let the customer know. It would improve sales and customer relationships
Wow it looks like have as close to an ideal dealer near me. He is in home by appointment only which is kind of nice. Whether I'm looking to spend $100 or $6000 he will spend all the time with me and not have to worry about someone walking in to 'Kick Tires' or spend $100,000. I get his full attention. He offers generous in home demos. He even loaned me some equipment when mine had to be sent in for repair (and the unit needing repair wasn't purchased from him). He knows I will not pay retail but still gives me a fair discount. Not always the discount I want to see but in all fairness he has to make something for his time and efforts. For that reason I do buy from him and have never bought elsewhere (unless it's something he does not carry). Every time I ordered something from him he delivers and installs it. Also he will never 'bad mouth' anything I have. Except for not being able to 'walk' in anytime what more could anyone want.

I have the best dealer and the best part he is local to me. Anyone in the Chicago area who wants to know who he is e-mail me and I will be more than happy to tell you. I want him to stay in business.
I have not shopped for new equipment for some time now, but back when (early 90s)I had 2 favorite stores.
Both were small, maybe 2 stores in the NJ NY area.
I could just show up with my cd's and listen to what ever I asked. Even the big stuff, to compare what I should be listening for.
I spent many hours listening to speaker amp combo's with no salesman or pressure to leave, and I ended up buying from both stores several times.
Unfortunatly both of these stores are no longer around.
I feel the big chains aren't quite what they pretend to be.
The staff seems to be all young kids that really have no idea just how good music can sound, or how good a television picture can be.
This seems to be the future of store sales as knowlegable
staff can get expensive, and it's all about the bottom line these days.
As far as online, sales will continually grow and make it much more difficult to compete in this market.
I will still seek out brick and mortar specialty store when it comes time for me to upgrade.
The most important aspect of any high-end dealership is that the salesman knows more than you. I just hate it when the salesman has not familiarized himself with the features & sonics of whats being sold.

Second, I like to be able to borrow on loan a piece of gear for home trial. Most always this entails a drivers license with deposit or credit card but eliminates alot of footwork & headaches. This is important, I don't necessarily need to hear equipment in their showroom, I want to take it home and see what it sounds like in my room with my speakers and associated gear.

Finally it is great to see a variety of high-end gear to choose from rather than specializing in one particular brand.
loaner's, loaner's and more loaner's. How the unit sounds in your rig/room is what it is all about. And yes, these dealer's are very hard to find, especially if you are not in a metro area. Next best thing is a 100% refund within 30 days if you return the item, no restocking fees and no store credit. Refund must be in the form of your original payment form. The future appears to be the 'in home' dealer as the brick and mortar business model doesn't really work anymore.

6550c's comments describe fantasy land, especially in today's climate. Many years ago I did 'floor plan' financing for about twenty audio dealers so I got to know the financial' s of those type business's. Forget about hiring salespeople, only the owner/manager model can make it today. Hey, there is always Best Buy.