Very Small 2.0 Amp for Totem Dreamcatcher

I am trying to put together a 2.0 stereo system for an office and want a real discrete minimal look to it. The music will be fed from the DAC in my usb sound interface from lossless music on my imac.

I am thinking about Totem Dreamcatchers as speakers to put out across from my desk but want a real small amp to listen at lower volumes.

Maybe something like a used Musical Fidelity X-80 or alternatives that I do not know about. I would set a budget of $400 total for the amp new or used.

I know I should just look at powered reference monitors for an office/computer setup but I have owned several and they sound anemic for music compared to a nice old totem arro setup I had years ago.

The alternative would be something powered and geared more for music like the AudioEngine A5/A2 but I would have to think the Totem/small amp would be more pleasing.
shawnparslow
The audioengines are supposed to be very good. Discrete and minimal too. I'm going to get a pair of the 2's very soon. I was going to use passive speakers and a Sonic Impact amp (which is an amp suggestion for you) but decided on the audioengine 2's instead because of their very small size. I just can't come up with a passive speaker that is so small that would sound good.
The most elegant small integrated with which I am familiar is the Naim Nait2 (chrome bumper or olive fascia - guts are the same). Don't be mislead by the power specs - it will drive the Totems easily, especially in an office setting. That being said, I'm pretty sure you will be hard-pressed to find one within your budget. $700-$750 would be my estimate. If you would like some Naim Nait history and info, do a web search for 'Naitology".

The Musical Fidelity X series are great choices, too.

At the end of the day, if it were me, I thing I'd lean to a pair of active monitors like the Quad 11L or 12L, Paradigm Studio 20 Actives or AudioEngine 2 or 5s - just a cleaner solution IMO.

Good luck - tunes at work definitely help the day go by!
I am also considering some of these smaller systems fore heavily.

The NuForce Icon amp and the NuForce S-1 speakers as well as JohnBlue JB3

One step "down" from that would be the A2/A5 option.
The best bang for the buck will be an older stereo receiver. I have an old Luxman unit (pre-Alpine) that looks and sounds great. Tandberg, Pioneer, most any of the better units from the 70s and early 80s will work well.

If that's too large a form factor, how about a used Peachtree Decco? Looks good, sounds great and is reasonably priced in the used market.

The Totems are very good speakers, but I suggest that you also listen to the Dynaudio Audience models. The W models are front-ported and are designed to go against the wall. I use a pair of 42Ws in my office and they sound wonderful.