Power amp around $3000 for C-J Classic preamp

I've all but decided that my next preamp will be the Conrad-Johnson Classic, but I'm struggling with ideas for a power amp that would be a good match for it below $3000. I listen almost exclusively to vinyl and the speakers right now are the Totem Acoustic Hawks but will be upgraded in the near future to probably the Vandersteen 3A Sig or possibly VMPS RM-30, but not yet sure. I'm open to both tube, hybrid or solid state, but I'm more inclined toward solid state. Any ideas?
actusreus
Actusreus,

Good to know and a good point. While I have been told and/or read that the PrimaLuna pre is a bad match for amps like the Stratos, I cannot see that impedance mismatch alone could be huge problem for pairing the cj Classic with any of these high value solid state amps given an output impedance of 200 Ohms.

Audioconnection's point about sticking with tried and true combinations may more appropriately apply to speaker/amp interactions in this case. I tried to suggest the amps I like below or around three grand new that could drive the hungry 3A's. These should all sound "good". Whether they will sound as good in combination with the 3A's as many here suggest ARC gear will sound, I cannot say but doubt it. In many cases you get what you pay for. ARC pre's and amps are listed here all the time used, and sell faster than pretty much any other brand.

No matter what direction you go, good luck, the Vandys are nice speakers.
03-04-10: Actusreus
I called C-J and the Classic's output impedance is 200 Ohms. If, as general rule, the amp's input impedance should be at least 10 times the output impedance of the preamp...
IMO, that 10x rule of thumb is an oft repeated fallacy. What is more appropriate, is 10x the measured *high* output impedance of the preamp.

Output impedance will always vary along the frequency range. While the CJ may have a nominal output impedance of 200 ohms, it's not unreasonable to expect a high output impedance from a tube preamp of something along the lines of 2000 ohms. For examples, read a few of John Atkinson's test measurements sections of Stereophile tube preamp reviews. You'll see how output impedance varies considerably from the manufacturer's nominal specification.

The bottom line is that the higher the input impedance of an amp, the better will be the success of matching a tube preamp.
BTW, the Vandy 3A Sigs have a fairly flat impedance curve, which would allow the use of tube amplification if that's of interest to you.

In your $3000 price range, look at used Rogue M-150 or M-180 monoblocks: 150wpc (although at 87dB, the 3A Sig might like even more power), 200k ohm input impedance.
How bout the CJ pre amp or used ARC LS5 or even a used Audible Illusions M3A about 800 bucks and an 100K input Imp ARC 100.2 for 1600 this combo put together should smoke all of what you are talking about for less than 1/2 the price
and Made in USA
Best JR
Audioconnection, Great recommendation John.

Have you ever heard the old saying "You can lead a horse to water"?