How to divide up $4,500, Amp/Speakers

I need a new back-end for my system (amp/speakers) and have around $4,500 to spend on used equipment.

Front end is VPI HR-X, Koetsu RSP, JMW 12.5 arm, Herron VTPH-2.

In this price range I think that an integrated tube amp would be better sonically but I am open to suggestions. My room is small (20x12x7.5) so I am tending toward smaller speakers.

I had a pair of Merlin VSM's long ago and either VSM's or TSM's might work well and also fall in this range used.

Assuming $2,000 used could get the Merlins what would be a good integrated tube amp that works well with them?

Main listening is New Orleans funk, blues, jazz and some classical.
jarrett
Hey Jarrett, if you are a minimalist, here's a thought: A Morrison ELAD linestage (400 used, 700 or so new). I've not heard it, but it is very well regarded. Morrrison says it mates well with Odyssey amps (starting at 600-800 used); like many others, I enjoy mine. An inexpensive IC from Signal Cable or somebody like that, and you'll come in at a nice pricepoint for you. Just a thought. J
My present system is:

Zu Soul Superfly speakers, $2600
Lightspeed Attenuator, $500
Music Reference RM-10 Mk 2, $2000
dbAudio Labs Tranquility SE DAC, $1800

The Music Reference amplifier has an input impedance of 100 K hms and the DAC has an output impedance of 50 ohms. The combination with the Zu speakers is the most satisfying setup I've ever had. I think it's really terrific. Detail, soundstage, relaxed and smooth presentation. Musical.

It is slightly more than your stated budget, but if your source is less than 200 ohms output impedance, I think you'll have a winner here.
My personal advice would be:

A pair of Tonian TLD1's or a pair of Quad 57s and a used Almarro 318b or a Transcendent OTL. I don't think it's possible to do better and that will get you very close to as good as it gets. With an added woofer and a couple cap upgrades, you're pretty much there. If you're going with dynamic drivers I would stay in the high efficiency realm as I believe they're physically better. Quad 57s are breathtaking but may be harder to live with long term if thats your plan.
Do you have the skills / tools / time to build a set of DIY speakers? If not, what about a kit (pre-made cabinets and xovers with a box of parts)? You could increase your amp budget to $2k and get a $2.5k speaker kit that would shame commercial offerings at triple their price....
Cathode, Sure, I am open to DIY. Who makes full speaker kits?

Milezone, I just sold off Soundlab's and Atma-Sphere and while they sounded great I don't want to revisit this kind of setup due to the fragility of the speakers and the heat from the OTL.