How to divide up $4,500, Amp/Speakers

I need a new back-end for my system (amp/speakers) and have around $4,500 to spend on used equipment.

Front end is VPI HR-X, Koetsu RSP, JMW 12.5 arm, Herron VTPH-2.

In this price range I think that an integrated tube amp would be better sonically but I am open to suggestions. My room is small (20x12x7.5) so I am tending toward smaller speakers.

I had a pair of Merlin VSM's long ago and either VSM's or TSM's might work well and also fall in this range used.

Assuming $2,000 used could get the Merlins what would be a good integrated tube amp that works well with them?

Main listening is New Orleans funk, blues, jazz and some classical.
jarrett
My present system is:

Zu Soul Superfly speakers, $2600
Lightspeed Attenuator, $500
Music Reference RM-10 Mk 2, $2000
dbAudio Labs Tranquility SE DAC, $1800

The Music Reference amplifier has an input impedance of 100 K hms and the DAC has an output impedance of 50 ohms. The combination with the Zu speakers is the most satisfying setup I've ever had. I think it's really terrific. Detail, soundstage, relaxed and smooth presentation. Musical.

It is slightly more than your stated budget, but if your source is less than 200 ohms output impedance, I think you'll have a winner here.
My personal advice would be:

A pair of Tonian TLD1's or a pair of Quad 57s and a used Almarro 318b or a Transcendent OTL. I don't think it's possible to do better and that will get you very close to as good as it gets. With an added woofer and a couple cap upgrades, you're pretty much there. If you're going with dynamic drivers I would stay in the high efficiency realm as I believe they're physically better. Quad 57s are breathtaking but may be harder to live with long term if thats your plan.
Do you have the skills / tools / time to build a set of DIY speakers? If not, what about a kit (pre-made cabinets and xovers with a box of parts)? You could increase your amp budget to $2k and get a $2.5k speaker kit that would shame commercial offerings at triple their price....
Cathode, Sure, I am open to DIY. Who makes full speaker kits?

Milezone, I just sold off Soundlab's and Atma-Sphere and while they sounded great I don't want to revisit this kind of setup due to the fragility of the speakers and the heat from the OTL.
North Creek, using Lee Taylor cabinet work, is one option of the semi-DIY kind. Assembly is work of a few hours for reasonably handy person. Don't know if the savings would be 2/3, but value is good. John