Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi guys, I am having some problem with my Syrah and I would like to share it with you all.

I received my Syrah about 6 months ago. After using it for 3 months I started hearing some noise on the left channel of the phono stage. I discussed with Mick on email for some time but couldn't solve the problem so I sent it back to him for inspection. Guess what the problem is?? Mick re-soldered the left 6GK5 adaptor and the noise is gone! Mick was very kind to pay for the return shipping but I have already paid $175 for sending it back ($80 for shipping and $95 for customs). I think this is very ridiculous that the Austrialian government charged me the import duties!

So, the noise was gone when I received the Syrah back in Nov last year. Unfortunately, the problem happened again a few weeks ago! This time the noise is heard on both channels (right channel is louder). Same as before, the problem is only with the phono stage.

I remember that someone has encountered the same problem before. Has anyone else had this problem too? To be very honest I can't afford to send it back for inspection again.
Ecmlee, Sorry to hear of your trouble. As you mention, Mick does bend over backwards to help in situations like yours but the shipping and import duties are ridiculous. My suggestion to you and others in the US who have issues with their Supratek would be to find a local technician who can diagnose and fix minor problems like these.

At one point Mick mentioned to me that he had a (growing) list of technicians in the US. I am not sure how that list has progressed or if he still uses the services of these technicians - perhaps you can inquire.

In some cases, Mick has paid for the repairs or provided reimbursement but the "high" cost some of these technicians charge frustrates Mick - especially when he believes the tech's did nothing.

Do some research and discuss with Mick. I am sure you'll find a solution that works for you.
As one who is considering the purchase of a Supratek preamp, I wouldn't stand for this situation (especially when the Art Audio factory is practically in my backyard). Mick needs to appoint/designate one (or two at the most) reputable and competent technicians as Supratek certified for handling all warranty work. Mick can work out some reasonable compensation arrangement with these tech's. This arrangement seems so obvious.
With the problems mentioned, I wonder what is the validity of the Supratek preamp raves, of several members. Regardless of how good a product is sonically, if the monetary concerns of having the gear running are ever present, as per the post by EMCLEE, doesn't that mean that the quality of the product itself is questionable? Doesn't that detract the product from serious consideration as a standard bearer of a certain type of product, in regards to a price point? I have heard of several companies that charge not small sums of money for their products, but that have several reliability issues. To that fact, I wonder how good Suprateks can ever be or become.

PS: Even if one becomes the owner of the finest preamp in the planet, what is the point of being so if one needs to possible have the preamp off to the repair shop for a couple of weeks at the time, as well as paying for shipping and duties, on top of the already full price one has paid for that piece? I remember a certain manufacturer who had the same reputation....Metronome??? That French manufacturer of really Shi--y transports that when functioning were awesome, but I think most of the Metronome owners spent their time in UPKEEP, AKA: sending the unit back to the manufacturer for repair. Of course, everything was worth it when they could play a couple of CDs before sending it for the next repair.
First, how many actually break or have a problem? One in 40, one in 70. Pretty small chance/risk. Second, paying full price is $2500, not $8000 like many of the preamps I have owned from Thor, Wavac and Audio Note. The Syrah bests all three of these and has a great phono section! None of the above three had phono at those list prices.

Be honest, folks pay $300 for NOS tubes and power cords, including me, that still dont bring other preamps up to the level of the Syrah. Again, when looking at this reasonably the cost/risk ratio is very, very low.

Grannyring