Ayon Vs. Audio Research Preamps

I am on the verge of acquiring an Ayon Orbis linestage preamp (very new, w/little available review data). However, I am also very curious about Audio Research's LS27 preamp.
Has anyone had experience with either of these (possibly from a comparison persepctive) and might offer some thoughts?

Thanks much.

Scott
scott_wolff
Melbguy,

Thanks very much for the comments. Here's what's transpired since my last 'blog'. I told my vendor to proceed with the order, but it turns out he never did. Great guy, but a little over-worked (aren't we all).

I called the US main office for Ayon in Arizona and spoke at length to their main tech Jerry. He explained to me in no uncertain terms (as my vendor also confirmed through conversations with his rep) that the CD-5s' pre-section challenges and most likely exceeds the performance of the Orbis. The CD-5s is also the pinnacle of Ayon's CD player offering. I said to go ahead and place the order for the CD-5s - which my vendor finally did. The comments of my vendor's rep and the US tech rep in AZ along with the fact that this will help eliminate having purchase another Dynamic Design Nebula power cord and interconnect - ultimately helped me make the decision. I realize the bottom line of any decision is how that choice sounds to an individual. I also planned on replacing my CD player, so this takes care of another step for my system's re-build. From a signal flow perspective, this also would seem to make better, more efficient sense.

I'd be curious to know of your contacts' comments on the differences or similarities of the CD-5s and the Orbis' pre sections.

Thank you again.

Scott
Please do a follow comment on the 5s in your system. That is is player I heard in the AudioPax room at T.H.E. In Las Vegas in January 2011. They used an AudioPax pre, but the Ayon CDP was killer. I am sure the pre in it will be too. I can't wait to hear your comments.
Hi Scott, firstly congratulations on your decision to buy the CD-5s. You certainly wont regret that as you're getting a great dac, transport & pre-amp in one package. In regards to my contact, I have spoken directly to Gerhard Hirt at Ayon regarding the Ayon Orbis on several occasions and compiled these responses regarding the Orbis and CD-5s. You can draw your own conclusions..

"The new Orbis will be the next milestone of our preamp history. It is always difficult to give you 100% correct sound description because it depends from so many factors.

Fact is that the Orbis is an ultra new Linestage concept, with an amazing 6H30 circuit ( parallel single-ended design with high current bias point – yes we are talking about a preamp)

Also there is a Re-Generator power supply built in and we are using a special 4 channel volume potentiometer from Japan, custom modified and motorized. As an ayon standard we included special chokes for the power supply.

I dare to say that this preamp doesn’t have any competitor in its class."

"Orbis: it is an analog preamp and not need to bring any update, there will be no any MK II version in the future, the design is done. BTW the Orbis is not yet released.

Actually when you have a CD-5s not need to include an preamp, the CD-5s preamp section is extremely well sounding."

"As you know the preamp section of the CD-5s is very close to any top preamplifier."

"I can tell you that the new coming Orbis will be a new milestone in its preamp class, the design what we using is a bit different from others and we designed without any compromise to get out a new performance standard.

Please know on the preamps side there is since a longer time not really any step ahead , all preamp manufacture in real moved back our using their old concept ( 10 or 20 years old design – just around a new chassis) because the preamp business is not a real business for the bigger manufactures.

But we set up a new reference standard with the Spheris II – it is a design which no others could do it or let’s say nobody would be crazy enough to invest a big amount and research and time to realize a preamp like the Spheris II nowadays.

Even the Orbis is using a bit different technology as the big Spheris, but the Orbis is truly outstanding and we invest a lot of brain to make it happen, and we were crazy enough to invest a lot of time in the Orbis again and even preamp business is not so attractive, for us is more important the result and that we set up a new standard and besides them still a very good price value."

"of course the Orbis is not very dark and very warm sounding but also not too neutral, the Orbis has all magic from a SE tube preamp with a bit warm in the midrange and its huge and holographic sound stage."

"You can be sure that the Orbis will be an improvement against the CD-5s."

Regards,
Melbguy.

Hi Scott, i've done some more research on the Orbis vs CD-5s and have to say i've come to the same conclusion as you. The CD-5s is an amazing preamp. I also found out it's preamp section has similar bandwidth to a CJ Act 2.2 (ie: over 100kHz!). Like you, when I looked at the the significant investment (preamp, high end cable & pc), it just didn't add up. The CD-5s is good enough & is pretty killer. I plan to upgrade my tonearm instead & invest in a high end iso platform...happy days!
Regards,
Melbguy.
The Orbis is a little better % ? perhaps 5%
This pre has an even bigger power supply and the AC regererator built in gives it a clear sonic edge at $13k
it should be better But in the same respect the preamp in the Skylla 2 , or cd5s the dac is world class without any exceptions, the preamp will compete with any $10K
units out there with certaintly. I have freinds in Europe that have throw the book at this gear and the Ayon Never falters.A solid value without any reservation.
My setup BTW Is the Skylla2 using a external Harddrive
to Brystons excellent digital player which has several advantages ,for one it has no moving parts ,all flac files sound better through this player ,also the 3 Big Rcore transformers are not being shared by the player which does give a bit more headroom , and seperation only a few
% points thoughin absolute terms.They are both excellent
I did have the hassle of spending 100 hours over a month to put 500 cds on the External usb drive.I can say though the new HD downloads really add to proof that this is the wave of the future and with a Ipad or Droid you have all album art and your collection at the touch of a button
as well as files with all your favorites done in amoments notice I did have to spend $1500 for a Wreworld Platinum USB, and Digital xlr cable to make the system shine.
The cd5s is a superb machine and is excellent .I was just
making a statement if you are willing to restructure your whole music setup this is an option.