Could they sell a high-end amp without the fancy

cabinetry.I'm talking about the quality of Pass, Ayre, Rowland, etc, etc. It seems when you do buy these products you are paying a lot for the packaging. Do you think someone could make an amp the quality of the above mentioned companies without the bling factor. It could sell for a lot less and create a new niche in the marketplace. If this is already being done I haven't seen it. I am talking about high-end audio not mid-fi.
taters
I agree with the Unsound's comments above, and I look forward to hearing a Hegel product sometime. Another product that provides true high end performance with extremely sound engineering and no bling to drive up the price are the Musical Reference amplifiers (RAM Labs): RM200 and RM10. These perform way beyond their price point,
It doesn't come with much less fancy than my Symphonic Line Kraft 250 monos:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1363975778.jpg

The resident female says they look like air conditioners without the knobs.
I think there's the false assumption that using lesser quality metal work will result in a dramatic lowering of the sale price. If a manufacturer went this root, would a $10k amp suddenly cost only $6k? I think not!

A high powered class A or A/B amp will necessarily be on the large and heavy side. Couple this with the fact that vibration and resonance control become increasingly more important factors as the quality of equipment improves and the high end amp manufacturer has little choice but to go with substantial metalwork. Once you're stuck with a big piece of metal to begin with the laser etching or mirror polishing doesn't add that much incremental cost.
+1 to what Unsound said. There are manufacturers out there that spend more on the innards than the outtards per se. However, if it's not in an impressive looking case, will the audio journals give it their highest ratings.....doubtful. Most want to pay for the jewlery/name. If you don't, you can find small manufacturers that don't play the game, like PBN, Bear Labs, Music Reference, Quicksilver, TRL, CODA, etc.
That's the beauty of DIY. You can make it as bling-infested or as utilitarian as you desire. Spending more on the components than the casework should result in better sound and a heavier wallet. Hell, if you're only making one, you can even spend 6 months on the casework to make it a masterpiece, for no more cost than that of your spare time.