Vinyl reissues

Do vinyl reissues sound the same as the originals?
tbromgard
Age and condition of master tape determines the outcome. With age most tapes deteriorate and the hall ambience is the first thing that is lost. Most reissues have fuller bass, better dynamics but the loss of ambience can make the original pressing preferable.
Yes. They will not sound the same as the originals. Different engineers & better equipment. They are getting more info from the source tapes and are being able to transfer that info to the master lacquer. These improvements change the sound quality for good or bad enough that they will not sound the same. Don't forget even though it does not seem it all the time, better quality control and a lot less pressings (2,000,000 or more to now 10,000) will also change the sound.

We also hear differences in the original releases. Records pressed from the first pressing sound differant than from say the 5th pressing of the same record pressed by the same company back in the day. Pressings also differ from country to country. Why pay more for a British release of a Beatles album if it sounded the same as an American release or why even want one for that matter. I think all records other than original first pressing from the country of origin ARE reissues and sound different. That's why people pay more money for an original pressing than even a second pressing of the same album - again, they sound different. IMHO.
I have NEVER heard a reissue that was better than a original, except for London records. London went to a much better cutting head in the early 70s and they reissued many earlier recordings with much better results.

As for the high priced 180gram current batch.I have heard a couple.One was so compressed by comparison to the original that it was embarrassing when the original was played next to it.My original was $15.00 off Ebay, the reissue was $50.00.

e
"....I have NEVER heard a reissue that was better than a original..."

I would encourage you to give a listen to the 45rpm reissue of Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" and see if that sentiment still holds up.
Tim, in fact that is the exact record that makes my point.I have a friend that heard it on a big time Dartzeel system and he was amazed at how bad it was in comparison.

sorry if you own that. I have not heard it first hand, but my friend (who has a very revealing system) says that he (and the owner)were amazed at the lack of engagement,dynamics,soundstage, and sound floor. Also,this is a expensive reissue.

e