Live vs. recorded

I'm wondering if others of you have a strong preference between live tracks or studio recorded versions. Obviously the quality of the recording plays a role. But for me, I would rather listen to a mediocre recording of a a live track than a higher quality studio track.
tmhouse0313
Many studio recordings are over polished. All the humanity has been scrubbed off them.

Some of them never had any life, they were recorded in different studios at different times by studio musicians who have never met just doing a job.

Some are computer generated.

I have to go on a case by case basis for both live and studio recordings.
I have to ask Tomcy6, what sort of music do you listen to because that's not my experience. Is it with Jazz perhaps?
Re: Steely Dan

Get the Two Against Nature DVD and listen to the live at Sony Studios material. I believe it predates the Storytellers show by a few days - I think it's superb.
Here is what I mean.

This poor quality audio youtube clip is just awesome (to my mind)

Dave Garfield

I enjoy this kind of jammin' much more than the same slick song on the studio album. So call me crazy but I really like the "live" sound.
Jim,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head - live musicians have the freedom to vary things and the little twists and nuances are perhaps what I enjoy so much (or not if the band does not groove well).

Perhaps this explains the appeal of live music to others too?