Does anyone "throw away" Lp's ?

I have collected about 1500 lps over the last several years. Mostly in groups of 2 to 8 hundred. I am just now going through each one to check quality of vinyl. My question is ...at what point do YOU just discard a record? I'm tempted to trash all that shows obvious scatches and wear.

I'm thinking anything that looks like I would be comfortable playing on my TT with my cart for fear of damage.

What do you do in this case?

dean_fuller
Yes I have tossed LPs.
I got back into LP collecting about 12 years ago.
I started getting more and more, as they were really cheap.
Well I had 12,000 plus. Boxes with a hundred plus each filling closets, they were all over the place. Then the news I had to move. I had to move all these things. Forget it.
So I had time to sort out stuff. I started sorting by quality, and tossed all LPs with scratches.
So I got them down to about 8,000 LPs. I only wanted to move the number i had shelving for which was 6,000 LPs.
So then I started in on the Classical LPs and just had to toss stuff good or not. It was a tough thing to do.

Now I own 6,000 LPs or so. I have about 2,000 Classical, 1,800 Jazz, and 2,200 Rock LPs. I try to get rid of LPs as I buy them, so I do not have more than fit on the shelves I own.
Right now I probably have a hundred 'extra' LPs...
So how to decide to toss?
Any scratches are the easy way. Then one needs to decide if the LP is rare, or hard to find, before tossing it.
I have come to realize not to buy ANY LP without it being scratch free. (the exception is dirt cheap AND also a valuable record)
I am lucky I live in an area with plenty of used LPs. So I can be fussy about the quality.
If you are trying to decide about scratches, on thing is to visually see if the scratches affect the groove, or not.
To do a visual inspection, tilt the LP so you can see the refraction, or glistening shimmer from the grooves. Use a good lightsource, and then look into the shimmering where the scratches are. IF you CAN see the scratches in the shimmering reflected light, then they affect the grooves, and can toss. If the scratches are not seen in the shimmering, then they do not affect the grooves.

Another thing to watch for is areas that are dull. Especially the inner area of the grooves. If part of the LP is dull, that is an indication the LP is worn out.
(Though some LPs, especially some German ones, are natually dull)
Watch for "DJ" scratchings, where one narrow area of an LP has major wear along a small area of the grooves. A LOT of LPs were destroyed by weekend DJ scratching, and those LPs find there way into collections.

Send your unwanted LPs to a Goodwill type store. They can recycle them to other overly enthusiastic buyers!
Exactly right on the Goodwill suggestion. Just took about 500 classical to our local store. The only thing I have to be careful of is not buying the darn things again. Give someone else a chance at finding some music.
Yup. Pink Floyds " Umma Gumma ". LP sucked so bad, but it made a wonderfull Frisbee. Two Frisbees actually...
-John
I had a few I took to the range and used for target practice. Bad Idea! By the way, you only get one chance for a hole in one. However the inner sleeves make great targets and are way cheaper.