Telefunken E188CC Sound

Has anyone heard or have the Telfunken E188CC and E88CC?. I would like to know if the E1 is worth the extra money or are the E88CC as good.The E1 go for $400.00 and the E88CC for around $150.00 to $200.00
128x128glory
Bojack, last year I paid $400 for a pair of 1972 NIB Siemens low noise 7308. Yes that's a lot of money. However, they clearly outperformed any 6922/Cca/E88CC/E188CC, etc. I had heard previously in THAT particular application. Would they have made the same difference in another preamplifier or Glorys' Audio Note? Dunno, but don't criticize what you don't understand.
Following up on Audiofeil's post, he made a very important point regarding low noise. I went through 6 Siemens early 60s CCa tubes before I found two that were quiet in my system. Quiet CCa tubes are rare, and it's one reason they cost so much (not to mention scarcity of CCa in general, and buyer demand). BTW, the noisy CCa tubes cost $400/pair, too, but for that money, I insisted on having quiet tubes, and I kept returning them to the E-Bay seller until I had two that were quiet.
Tvad your point is well taken. There exists, among many audiophiles, a belief that all Cca tubes are created equal. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Having used Siemens and Telefunkens from different production runs there is no doubt in my mind that Cca guarantees very little. I've heard and used Amperex and Philips 6922 that were far superior to many Cca. My humble advice when buying tubes at the price levels discussed is know your seller. It may cost a few dollars more but also save a lot of headaches. Caveat emptor.
06-11-06: Glory
I have a Audio Note dac with Amperex white label gold pin PQ shield USA.
I just bought the Siemens CCa gray plate that is in the mail.
I am about to pull the trigger on the Telefunken E188CC for $325.00 new in the box and
I can only speak for the sound from my Sonic Frontiers Line one preamp, with that said, I prefer the sound from the early 60s Siemens CCa tubes to the Telefunken E188CC tubes. Imo the CCa just has a better overall musical presentation.

After you have the Siemens CCa broke-in post back with your opinion of the tube. Same if you buy the Telefunken, let us know what you think of the two tubes.
Jim
After you have the Siemens CCa broke-in post back with your opinion of the tube.
Jea48 (Threads | Answers)
Broke-in? If tubes don't sound good after 8 hours of warm-up, then they're the wrong tubes for the application or the listener's preference. We're not talking about capacitors here.