what is good sound ?

when evaluating stereo systems, should the performance of the stereo system itself be the reference point, or should the listener be the basis for the evaluation ?

if the instrinsic quality of sound is the basis for judgment, then such concepts as transparency, neutrality or accuracy might be the standard for evaluation.

otherwise, the listener would be the sole judge and whatever criterion, be it based upon sonic considerations or physiological/psychological states, would be the deciding factor.

whatever approach is selected, what is the justification for either one ?
mrtennis
Mr T, your question is as unanswereable as the question 'What makes for good music' Is it the technical prowess of the musicians or personal taste as to the melody, harmony, rythm etc..
Unanswerable. Heard that before? I love my rig and think it's better than good, but you may not think so...Our audiophoolish ears just don't appreciate equally....just finished Swann's Way. Much easier to write a treatise on Proust's way than answer your question. And least, one is answerable.....
i think the thread is asking a basic question which can be asked of other endeavors, namely, are there objective standards for evaluating quality or is it all subjective, in which case, it's just a matter of opinion ?

i would like to have a rational discussion, if anyone is interested.
Mrtennis, your asking for a clearly defined answer to a question that most audiophiles cannot give the definitive answer to. Any answers you get are subjective. You already know that given the variables involved in any system and the average listener coming in with his expectations & experience will differ from one person to the next. For that reason nothing is written in stone. Therefore it "is" a matter of opinion. Evaluating quality requires some experience as you know but even then may not be what the next guy considers quality sound. A similiar question would be, what came first, the chicken or the egg? This question would involve an endless debate as does this one & cannot be taken seriously. My attempt to address this question originally made me curious to the responses you might receive. Anybody else?