Hi-Fi in Bay Area?

Dear Goners:

Would anyone like to suggest good hi-fi shops in the Bay Area? Emphasis would be on very high-end two channel (Lamm, Brinkmann turntables, Verity speakers, etc., would be items of potential interest). Will be staying downtown at Westin St. Francis and would prefer something not too far away.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
dearing
OK, OK, before you Analog Room lovers jump down my back, think about what I've said. You know it can be true. I have visited there many, many times so I do know of where I speak and suggest that, while a decent place in some instances and for some products, it can be a very intimidating place for the first-timer. The treatment there can be indifferent, at best, and extremely rude, at worst. I know, because I've seen (and once experienced) both. I mention this to the OP because I for a time I recommended the place to others without reservation, only to have a few folks be treated badly (which was actually not a real surprise) and then have them be angry with ME for suggesting the place.

End of disclaimer. ;-)
I also recommend you talk to Brian at The Analog Room. His attitude is unique and the cigar smoke might be a problem but I still recommended it. Please call first to confirm he is open and get driving instructions. The Analog Room is very hard to find and has no signs posted. If you get lost, please call him for help. Cheers..

Re: the Analog Room. Thanks, but as many hi-fi dealers are little more than reformed bong salesmen, it is my estimation of them that will likely be the issue.
4yanx,

I disagree, (as I have in the past), with your assertion that the treatment at The Analog Room is indifferent "at best". I won't dispute that at its worst, it can be rude, although certainly no more rude than EVERY other high end dealer can be on occasion. Certainly Brian is not even close to being in the same category as the old Audible Difference in Palo Alto was! (Argh, they were the worst. (I have heard they reopened that store, and hopefully this time, with better sales people.)

However, Brian, when at his best, can be incredibly helpful, and accommodating. He certainly has gone out of his way to make my buying experiences pleasant. (He has set up both of my turntables and tone arms for me for nothing. I bought both used off people from Audiogon or Ebay, and he knew it. Hell, he even guided me toward what to buy, after listening to my criteria for what I wanted. He literally unpacked both of my turntables and tone arms from the packing crates, assembled them, and then mounted the cartridge on, and properly adjusted it. Now does that sound indifferent to you? And don't think he went out of his way because I was buying Koetsu Jade Platinum cartridges from him every other week. I bought a Benz Micro Glider 2, and when that had its cantilever busted off, he gave me 40% credit toward a Koetsu Black. And he mounted both cartridges both times as a courtesy. (Total investment in these cartridge was under $2K.)

Certainly he does not appreciate it when you waste his time browsing in the store and wasting his time setting up and wearing out his equipment for useless listening sessions, with no obvious intention of buying anything, not even a used LP. But again, all high end dealers dislike to be used in such a fashion. (And rightfully so.)

My take on Brian is that he is incredibly knowledgeable person, especially in regards to all things analog, and a nice guy to boot. Once you establish that you accept his opinions as based upon his vast experience, regardless of whether you agree with him or not, he is fine to deal with. However, going into HIS store, and then arguing that he is wrong about his approach to high end equipment, is not the way to go about establishing a good working relationship.

Also, while I hate cigar smoke (almost as much as cigarette smoke - I never smoked, never have, never will), I have never found it to be the "THICKEST" cigar smoke at any time.

Can I smell it when I go there?
You bet.

Can I see it in the air?
No, not usually, but occasionally.

Brian is EXTREMELY good about keeping the doors and windows open when he does indulge.

And I have bought dozens of new, and several used albums from him. (He has a great selection, btw!) NONE of them had cigar smell on them. My wife would certainly have noticed, as she can smell as good as a hunting dog!

4yanx, what exactly did Brian do to get you so pissed?
I am not pissed at Brian, as you so eloquently put it Kurt, though you seem to be pissed at me. You will note that I said that I have been there many times and if the treatment were ALWAYS rude, that would not be the case, I assure you. Further note that I was specifically speaking of first-time customers and that I suggested the OP call first and go if he were interested to BUY and perhaps not if he was only going to graze. I also said that the treatment CAN be indifferent, at best, and I'll stand by that statement. Moreover, I am willing to bet that well over half of the first-time visitors to Brian's shop have probably felt intimdated if Brian was present, especially if they did not have a good deal of experience in talking analog. Who said anything about arguing with him in "HIS" store (is the owner always right these days?) or disagreeing with what HE says? I, quite plainly I thought, was talking about the other way around where a person says something or asks a question that rubs him the wrong way and then HE disagrees, often in a most unpleasant way. I've personally seen it happen several times more than once and I've felt embarassed for the person and I've seen the staff cringe. I would also take issue with you with your EVERY shop is rude statement. At least in my experience, I have NEVER seen anyone treated with anything but kindness and respect at Music Lovers in Berkeley and I have been there about 20 times - less than AR but still a good sample.

With respect to the cigar smoke. At least every other time I go in there, at least four or five people (generally Brian, his two helpers, and one or two customers) have cigars lit and are actively smoking (yes, the door is generally open - but not always, and I've NEVER seen a window open). The shop consists of five very small rooms, and the one back room is often closed. If that is not thick smoke, I don't know what is, and I used to smoke. And, sorry, I have had to air out a cover of three from LP's bought there. There is NO WAY that an unsealed LP that is in that store any longer than a month cannot smell of tobacco. Period.

I am not trying to be as critical of Brian as I am trying to be realistic to prospective vistors. I think if you were being truly candid, you'd see (even from your own comments) that we agree more than disagree, for insatnce I do think that he can be helpful if you get to know him and he likes you. Plus, my comments are meek and mild compared to those of some. But, whatever, others can certainly judge for themselves.