Are many audiophiles only seeking approval of the next purchase?

I find a good num of forum posts to be in this realm.  Facts ignored only posts that agree are considered of worth. 
128x128johnk
Well, we have to at least visit and hang out with insane, otherwise we’ll never know the difference.

Knew an old professor who kept his sanity card in his wallet.

He was discharged from the psyche ward many decades back, after a short visit.

He was declared legally sane.

He would show it to people who were acting crazy.

He was legally sane..but how about them? Hmmm?

That such zany fun can be had in this world...
Seeking approval of the next purchase by asking around is a really bad way to go...seriously...what if somebody doesn't like your ideas? Leaving the house, talking to anyone about anything, and listening to anything at all other than those voices in your head will lead to nothing but trouble. However, endless boasting about how amazingly great your system sounds can be gratifying and help you get over your shortcomings, therefore making those trips to the therapist less painful.
Yeah, it's similar to religious evangelism. It seems to me there's more than a little seeking for validation. 
So what , to be validated is a normal human need , always has been and always will be .As is wanting to show everybody your new toy , nothing wrong with either .
What is clear from even light reading of almost any forum is that what sounds great to you in your home may not impress me... and in my house may actually sound poor... for a number of well understood reasons. 

Audio is not unlike Automobiles... very personalized. 

After a while, you know which posts seem credible... but at the end of the day, you can’t know if it will work for you unless you can try it in your system.... and sometimes you will try a well reviewed product and it will be disappointing.