dead quiet

I read this a lot that one's system is dead quiet..Is this at all possible when playing phono? what does it really mean?
ditto
BdGregory, Where do you get your AC power for all the gear? Is it coming from more than one wall socket? Is the system AC grounded at more than one socket? If so, the simplest thing to try first is to lift the grounds of all but one component, preamp is best choice to leave grounded with a 3-prong plug, since everything else is connected to the preamp. To lift the grounds of the other components, you may have to resort to "cheater plugs" available at any hardware store. A small difference in AC ground potential between one wall socket and another can result in low level hum. If this strategy does not help, there are more complex rituals that may do so. like lifting the ground wire from the turntable to the preamp, if it is currently attached to the preamp OR attaching the ground wire to the preamp, if it is currently free. As others have intimated, regardless of the cost of your system, you don't have to live with hum.
Bdgregory, I had the hum in the speaker between tracks when I listened close to the speaker. It went away when I replaced the Jolida JD9 with a JLTi phonopre.
One thing that can cause hum is other components, especially digital components, even when they are off. I have to disconnect the power supply on my Squeezebox when I play records to avoid a slight hum. I previously had a Sony DVD-9000ES that produced tremendous hum in my phono, though only when on.
Have you tried turning off, or even unplugging, any digital gear, if you have any?
Albert--what table did you go to? as for dead quiet, it is achievable but as others have stated, very difficult to achieve if your system is not already dead quiet. I still have a little hum that is due to the way i have my equipment set up. I have found that phono wires near electric current feeds will cause hum. That is my recent problem. My phono stepup is also part of my issue. I have used a loaner stepup and eliminated my noise issue but just have not invested in this next step. Christmas is coming :)
Has the issue of speaker sensitivity been considered? There is a HUGE difference in background noise, hiss, pink noise, whatever you want to call it, between a speaker that has a sensitvity of say 86db vs 100db....

Even the very best components present some noise when connected to very sensitive speakers...