From KEF 103.2 to Harbeth 30.1 and back....Your advice sought.

I was a happy KEF 103.2 owner for over 15 years...then the upgrade bug hit.

6 months later I'm out of love. Sure - the Harbeths have gorgeous mids and realistic timbres. But they lack guts. There's no oomph. Piano music and jazz sound great - but forget Lou Reed. The Stooges can't get loud enough. Even classical sounds cut off at the waist. 

I'm tempted to upgrade back to the 103.2s. (And pocket several thousand while I'm at it.) Listening to them was effortless, and warm. Perhaps not as detailed or as accurate, but much more satisfying. 

Only, I'm left wondering if something else might fit my fancy. A *new 103.2, so to speak.

I'm eyeing the NOLA BOXER II, for example...I also spent about a week with a pair of KLIPSCH 160s off Amazon. Fatiguing as hell, but that horn tweeter was awfully exciting. Really made me wonder what a high-end or vintage Klipsch might be like...

Can you folks point me in some directions??? My criteria are rather straightforward: 

- Sub $3500, used or new. I have no "lower" limit. I'll try anything. 
- Preferably not floor standing
- Well-suited for rock and roll, classical (orchestral), jazz and blues (in that order) 
- Will play nice with a a Sonneteer Alabaster SS amplifier

With thanks for your time! 
pupil
If you could save a few more pennies I would look at the KEF Ref 1. A standout speaker. You can get it used in 9/10+ condition for about $5K.
Epos might be your ticket for dynamic. and hard hitting bass that doesn't  sacrifice the mids. They play well with all genres IME. ProAc may be another good option.
55 wats per channel is not much if you want gutsy dynamic sound. Try e.g. to borrow a 2x200 watt amp and see if you hear a difference - I bet you will. My son is planning to buy the M30.1 and I bought him a 2x250 watt Yamaha P2500S to drive them.
103.2 my very first audiophile speakers with an ads system. I loved them. I tried many different studio monitors and they lacked the oomph as well. I’m now running vintage altec model 19s with some tube equipment and couldn’t be happier. Was listening to the cowboy junkies/lay it down and couldn’t believe how it sounded. Puts a smile on my face every time I turn my system on. I’m only into it for 5k. Cheers
As much as I’m a fan of the thin-walled, BBC style speakers from Harbeth and similar ilk, they don’t have hard hitting dynamics when compared to brands of more contemporary design. This is very obvious in side-by-side comparisons, but is also easy to ignore once you become accustomed to their gorgeous midrange.

I’m thinking the KEF Reference line might strike a good balance between these traits, but you certainly can’t get them for $3500...well, maybe a used pair of 1’s with some luck. Another speaker I suspect might be up to the challenge is Ascend Acoustic’s Sierra 2.

Epos speakers are very dynamic but sacrifice some of that midrange perfection.

I’ve been listening to Klipsch Heresy IIIs the last few nights and doing back-to-back comparisons with my Spendors (which have the best midrange I’ve heard, yet are also warm) and they’re surprisingly similar in tone. Not at all fatiguing like the early Heresys allegedly were; however, they do have a more forward and "live" presentation. Where they really excel is with rock, especially classic rock, but they also do great with classical, blues, and jazz. Their bass dynamics (albeit not extension) is hard to beat. If you want to hear a fast, hard-punching attack of a kick-drum at 90+ db, Heresys are the ticket. Yes, they are floor standers by definition but they integrate with my living space better than most stand mounts ever could.
Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

I thought I'd be ridiculed - or worse, called a troll! - for missing my old pair tired vintage KEFs worth 10% of the Harbeths currently in my living room.

I'll research the models you've recommended, particularly the Reference model and Heresys! 
In your price range and requirements, I would look at the Reference 3A MM de Capo BE.  It's a very musical speaker that is efficient with lots of punch. 
Have you considered changing your amplifier.
It is not all about power.

I changed from a Quad 306 to an Art Audio Quintet and now my system is full of life.
My speakers now seem to have the dynamics of horns.

It is all about creating an illusion, so before you change speakers think about your amp.
It my do the trick.

My speakers are B&W DM70 and are not the most dynamic, but changing to a tube power transformed them.

I really had my doubts that the valve amp would drive them, but I does and now I can't stop getting my vinyl out.

I find that vinyl nearly always sounds more dynamic than CD.
As for flax, mp3 etc, they can induce sleep a lot of the time.
Perhaps s better streamer would help, but I am not do sure.

All I say is that you should not be too quick to blame the speakers, as they are just part of the equation.

I hope this helps and good luck.
If you were happy with KEF look at some new KEF speakers. I tried Harbeth and ended up going back to Proac. The Harbeth was not for me.
I’ve owned the 103 many moons ago. IMO, a sealed speaker is allot more room friendly than those ported Harbeths. It's too bad that there are not many sealed designs anymore. Maybe you should go back to the 103 if you can find them in good shape!
Although the Sonneteer Alabaster may be underpowered for the Harbeth M30.1, the speakers are still not the best for rock n' roll. As a matter of fact, the 30.1s are the worst speakers in the Harbeth line for rock n' roll. They are cut out more for smooth jazz and small ensemble music.

For some rock n' roll, you might want to try the Compact 7ES3 and Super HL5 Plus. These are more of an all-rounder, much better than M30.1 with rock music.
I still say that it may be an idea to try another amp, as amp to speaker matching can be a bit of a black art.
This can make a massive difference. Your amp runs hot anyway, so why not try a tube.
It could not hurt to try and It may be that your amp and speakers are just not working together at their best.

If you really need to change speakers, how about Tannoy.
I mean the dual concentric type with paper cones.
These are usually very efficient with very good dynamics. (Efficiency and dynamics seem to go together) 
However I find that they will show up any deficiencies in source and amplification.

There is a good reason why old Tannoy’s fetch good money these days.
The Harbeth 30.1, which I own, is a far better speaker than the KEF 103.2, which the Harbeths  replaced in my system. Seriously, no comparison, which is not to say the the KEFs are not excellent, especially for their era. The KEF 103.2s have a noticeable bass tilt, which is what you are hearing. That was designed-in by KEF, to make the speaker sound bigger than it is. In fact, they sounded even bassier than the 105.2s of that era, which had a huge bass driver. Since this thread is now almost a year old, it's probably too late for me to advise you to experiment more with room placement on the Harbeths. I did move mine closer to the wall than AS recommends, but in my room, it did the trick.  In truth, neither the KEFs nor the Harbeth 30s are the best choice for hard rock listening; their virtues lie elsewhere.