Fuse upgrades? -- 6.3 amp 250v 5X20mm fast blow fuses

I occasional blow a one of these 4 fuses in my McCormack DNA .05 and use cheap fuse replacements costing maybe $.50 a piece.  Can anyone recommend upgrades fuses that might enhance the performance of the amp, but not costing in the SR price range.  Say $1-$5 a piece?   Thanks for any insights.    
whitestix

Showing 8 responses by whitestix

Thanks for the insights, gents, much appreciated.  As you have noted, fuses blow for a reason, and I think in my case it has been due to poor connections with my interconnect cables and me fiddling with gear on rack.  I plead guilty!   I ordered some new bussman fuses as replacements and will ensure more firm connections with my cables to the gear.  Thanks again. 
Geoff,
Thanks for chiming in.  I will admit that Steve McCormack is a devotee of SR fuses and he knows audio gear. 
auxinput and sleepwalker,
Much obliged for your thinking on this issue.  I tried a couple of SR Black fuses in a former amp and preamp and perceived no difference in sound.  I have some Hifi Tuning fuses in other gear and never think much about them, but I might get a set for my McCormack.  It seems for every "fusehead" around, they are just as many EE's and other tech's who scoff at the idea of fuses making a meaningful difference in sound.  This controversy will never be settled, and while I won't pop of the SR fuses, less expensive one like Hifi Tuning are a fair gamble.  Again, Steve McCormack is a believer in SR fuses yet the fellow that created my preamp thinks it is pure folly.  I am somewhere in the middle.   Thanks again your all your posts.  
auxinput and sleepwalker,
Much obliged for your thinking on this issue.  I tried a couple of SR Black fuses in a former amp and preamp and perceived no difference in sound.  I have some Hifi Tuning fuses in other gear and never think much about them, but I might get a set for my McCormack.  It seems for every "fusehead" around, they are just as many EE's and other tech's who scoff at the idea of fuses making a meaningful difference in sound.  This controversy will never be settled, and while I won't pop of the SR fuses, less expensive one like Hifi Tuning are a fair gamble.  Again, Steve McCormack is a believer in SR fuses yet the fellow that created my preamp thinks it is pure folly.  I am somewhere in the middle.   Thanks again your all your posts.  
Gents, thanks again for chiming in on this now-contentious post... could on GK to throw voodoo dust over sound electrical theory.  I am taking auxinput's advice and replace all four rail fuses on my DNA .05 with these ceramic fuses from Bussman, costing $5.00 each. Worth a try.

Bussmann 

Miniature Fuses, GDA Series 

Item# GDA-6.300A - FUSE, 6.3A, 250V, F, 5X20mm, CERAMIC 

GDA Series Information
  • 5 x 20 Millimeters
  • 0.05~6.3 Amps
  • 250VAC
  • Fast Acting
  • UL Approvals
The Bussmann GDA Series are a group of low voltage, general purpose miniature fuses. These fuses are designed for use in appliances and consumer electronic equipment.

• High Breaking Capacity
  • Optional Axial Leads
  • Ceramic Tube
  • Nickel-Plated Brass Endcaps

Gents, thanks again for chiming in on this now-contentious post... could on GK to throw voodoo dust over sound electrical theory.  I am taking auxinput's advice and replace all four rail fuses on my DNA .05 with these ceramic fuses from Bussman, costing $5.00 each. Worth a try.

Bussmann 

Miniature Fuses, GDA Series 

Item# GDA-6.300A - FUSE, 6.3A, 250V, F, 5X20mm, CERAMIC 

GDA Series Information
  • 5 x 20 Millimeters
  • 0.05~6.3 Amps
  • 250VAC
  • Fast Acting
  • UL Approvals
The Bussmann GDA Series are a group of low voltage, general purpose miniature fuses. These fuses are designed for use in appliances and consumer electronic equipment.

• High Breaking Capacity
  • Optional Axial Leads
  • Ceramic Tube
  • Nickel-Plated Brass Endcaps

Kosst, 
In my Platinum upgrade of the McCormack DNA .05, Steve has four FB rail fuses, two on the main circuit board, and a fuse ahead of the transformer.  I don't know his logic for using so many fuses, and I have blown a few of the rail fuses with poor IC connections, but it is the finest amp I have ever heard.  I think he used the fuses perhaps to idiot-proof them, which I will admit to being one.  Cheers, Mark