Linn Majik DSI into Sunfire 300x2 strange result

I would appreciate any opinions , hints regarding the following scenario I tested the last days and got fuly frustrated. Some background infos first:

My system consists of a Linn Majik DSI integrated streamer (means has own amp) and Wilson Benesch Discovery speakers. Cables are Nordost.

As I assumed the Linn Majik DSI amplification section to be suboptimal for the speakers, I decided to experiment with an external amplifier and picked-up a Sunfire 300x2 opportunity, latest model from 200x (just shortly praised on Arthur Salvatore Readers letters but also on Audiogon). Cable was Neotech copper and I had to use the PRE OUT of the Majik, as this output is the only one subject to its volume control. The WB speakers were connected first on current and finaly on voltage posts, no difference in the phenomenon I will describe below.

For those of you not familair with the Majik DSI sound, I would qualify it as being more on the darker side. Although the sound isn't really bad, I have the feeling that the bass is somehow boomy, uncontrolled.

The result of the Majik+Sunfire combo was an incredible bright/harsh sound with exagerated highs, a more controlled bass, but the highs were so "loud" (even at normal levels) that these seemed to overlay everything. On the other side the Sunfire is known to be an excellent bass performer, ....but the bass was not sooo deep. In a nutshell, I had the impression that the whole sound spectrum was "raised into the higher frequencies" and very agressive.

Switching back to the Majik amp, of course the balanced sound returned.

Any idea if this might be a kind of mismatch between the Majik output and the Sunfire input? Or perhaps between Sunfire and Wilson Benesch Discoveries ( an audioasylum fellow hinted me at an observation done recently by a Sunfire 600 owner that had a very harsh sound with Legacy speakers, a horrible combination obviously). One the one hand I can't believe the Linn DAC/pre section can be so bad (despite its digital volume control) and neither that the Sunfire sounds so harsh/unbalanced...what could be the cause for such a behaviour?

Many thanks to you guys for any hint, opinion...

Adrian
livcio
"The result of the Majik+Sunfire combo was an incredible bright/harsh sound with exagerated highs, a more controlled bass, but the highs were so "loud" (even at normal levels) that these seemed to overlay everything. On the other side the Sunfire is known to be an excellent bass performer, ....but the bass was not sooo deep"

1. are u single wiring from Linn to Sunfire and which spkr output did u use?
Voltage Out is a standard SS output to spkr.
Current Out is for electostats and tweeters. The highs are rolled off.
2. I've found Sunfire 300 amps do not have the deepest bass or "bass slam." (Also depends on spkrs) But the bass to my ears is smooth and "tube like."
3. It may be an impedance mismatch between Preamp an amp. Can u check the Linn's output specs?
4. Are u using the "Normal" unbalanced Sunfire inputs or the Balanced In?
- Reread ur post and see that u have tried both current and voltage outs. Sorry.
- Also, have u tried running Linn direct to Wilsons?
- Are u using the "Normal" Sunfire inputs or "Lab Direct"
- Can u control the gain out of the preamp?
Thanks!
-yes, actually Linn DSI direct to Wilsons was my regular configuration, as the DSI has its own amp....the sound is not bad, but I thought it could be significantly bettered with the Sunfire
- The Sunfire 300x2 I purchased is from the newer generation (front label has "300x2" markup, it has ON/OFF logic on the rear panel) and has no Lab Direct input (:-
- The gain can only be controlled by using the only output of the Linn which is subject to volume control, it is the pre-out. The DSI has a second one, which is like any ordinary source output, but that one needs a preamp. As I have only one source, aquiring a preamp is not an option for me. The volume control on the PRE OUT output is the same of course as the DSI is using when connected directly to the speakers.
I would do the same as you did; get a kick-ass amp and bypass the Linn amp. Someone with more experience than me will eventually jump into the conversation.
I love the Sunfire 300 & 600 and I hope it will work for you. My only thought is there is a gain or impedance mismatch. Also, do u know if this Sunfire is in working order?
Thanks again! I really appreciate your opinion....well, your question is a good one, I had the same thoughts. I purchased the amp from the former german Bob Carver reseller (I live in Bonn, Germany) , this reseller was the Thiel-Accuton company , you might heard about them, they are known because of their ceramic drivers for example. They ocasionally used the amp as a demo and then many years of " shelf life" followed, so no usage for many years....
I will get the chance to test it in the near future in a friends system consisting of ASR Emitter and Magnepan 3.7. As the Emitter is a very neutral amp, I hope to get a better picture concerning to the question: is the Sunfire the problem... Yesterday I tried unsuccesfully more than once to reach a Sunfire repair service "Rita's..." I found in a forum...no one answered...not sure if they can be reached by e-mail?!
My best regards, Adrian
Rita's is closed permanently I believe.
Best place for Sunfire repair is in Oregon: carveraudiorepair@gmail.com.
Phone: 503-618-7605.
Good Luck.
Bob(Carver) and Rita's is now closed. Repairs are being referred to other shops. I have an idea...try posting on this forum:
http://thecarversite.com/

They are Carver experts. Ask the same question and maybe they can diagnosis the problem. I think they will first say to hook-up the Sunfire to a friend's system who has a external preamp. Since your 300 was not in use for awhile, maybe some caps are bad.
Also, I think u should ask Linn about Majik to external amp hookup.
And keep me posted.
Repair for virtually all Carver and Sunfire electronics is available from Hi Tech Audio in Gresham, OR.