Luxman L-509X

Any A'Gon readers from Japan listened to this new integrated? The specs and description seems like it could be an incredible piece. Though likely dependent on how good the pre-amp stage sounds. The amp section is supposed to be similar to the great sounding m700u stereo amp.

http://www.audiovenue.uk/newly-launched/luxman-l-509x/

yyzsantabarbara
Excel Audio in Newport Beach is supposed to have one in a week or two. I hope to hear it soon. Very beautiful to look upon and hoping it sounds just as good.
Newport is a bit of a hike for me given my current workload. I hope you can give some feedback from your listening session.
I had the opportunity to audition one. It’s a gorgeous unit, exudes class in its build and sound. So versatile, 3 different sound presentations, straight thru, tone control engaged and loudness engaged.  I liked using each one at different sound levels. At low volumes the loudness option really helps with a boost in bass and treble.  It had more than enough power to run Magico S3Mk2 without breaking a sweat!  the fact that it has bass, mid and treble tone controls really would help out tailoring problem rooms
  It’s also the coolest temperature wise of any of the integrated amps I have tried, barely getting warm to the touch.  In fact my Chord Dave Dac gets hotter than it does.

I really like the idea of tone controls and a loudness control. I sometimes listen late at night while my toddler is asleep and it is sometimes difficult to get the desired volume.  My office is also not that big so the tone controls would help out a lot. Interesting that it worked well with the Magico S3Mk2.
@dguitarnut 

"the fact that it has bass, mid and treble tone controls really would help out tailoring problem rooms" I am lost on this comment since my brochure shows only bass and treble tone controls. Can you explain for me? 

My dealer has this unit in stock and just burned in. Hoping to hear it soon.
@yyzsantabarbara 

Finally had the chance to hear the L-509X. All listening was using Marten Django L speakers and a $12.5k turntable; Nordost cabling. The Luxman has good neutral deep resolution; the sound stage was wide and had some depth with instrument stage delineation showing where each performer was located. Bass was solid and well defined without sounding mechanical and mids and treble were also very nice too and I don’t recall any grain or grit – a very good thing. The tone controls worked well when needed and there is a button on the remote that allows you to toggle them on/off so you can easily hear what difference they are making. This product was “broken in” and I’d guess it has 100-200 hours on it. From my memory, I liked the Luxman L-509X (A/B with 3 W Class A) compared to the Luxman 590 AXII (60 W Class A) by a significant margin. The 509X runs just barely warm and would work well in an enclosed or vented rack whereas the 590 AXII runs like a house on fire. It may have a bit more midrange bloom over the 509X, but overall I liked the 509X much better. Also, after having looked at the PDF of the 509X sales brochure multiple times, it is even better looking in person. Super-high build quality and very visually appealing.

Wanted to say thanks to Mike @ Excel Audio in Newport Beach. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ADDB2d6EzRNpvxs&cid=F1429A29E425E1BB&id=F1429A29E425E1BB%211607&parId=F1429A29E425E1BB%21652&o=OneUp
http://files.constantcontact.com/e7f722a0701/c7b75612-04bb-4d7a-9221-0fd0364a6952.pdf
@Pokey77

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good sounding unit and a beautiful one at that. I have found a store to sell me a pair of Yamaha NS 5000 speakers for my office. Now all I need is an integrated.amp and a DAC. The Luxman is likely my #1 choice for this setup and I will head down to Newport Beach to check it out. 

I am also looking at the Hegel 360 integrated which sounded good playing KEF Blades (future living room speakers) at the last LA Show. Problem is I went upstairs to another room after that and I heard the Luxman high end separates.They sounded better than the Hegel. Though the Hegel is a great bargain (with included DAC) for the sound and features it delivers. If the 509X is close in sound to those Luxman separates I heard, the c900u preamp and $40K monoblocks, then I will pay the extra for the 509X over the Hegel.

Thanks for posting the 509X review. I had not seen that one yet.
@yyzsantabarbara 

The 509X review I posted is the first according to Mike @ Excel Audio. FYI, he is by appointment only. Great guy to work with. Mike will also have the Luxman C900u + M900u in by the end of the week.

BTW, if you haven't read yet, the 509X uses a derivative of the C900u preamp and the M700u stereo amp. I am hoping to hear the 509X with TAD Evolution 1 speakers soon.

I heard the H360/Blade IIs at the LAAS as well (did you hear the full demo with the Rost/H360/Reference separates?). Thought the H360/Blade IIs  were very good together. It was amazing that the H360 wasn't very far behind the Hegel reference separates. It is a good value at $6k.

Guys-

across many forums, these Luxman Integrated amps , are really hot (no pun) right now.  Anyone want to suggest a dealer/retailer where I can audition? 

Happy Listening!

@jafant
"mrose@excelaudio.us
949-933-1599. Hours are Monday - Sun 10-6, Evening. Appointments are available as well.
Best Regards, Mike Rose" 

@pokey
Sounds like mike rose is the guy you met at Excel.I asked him about the m900u and c900u units a year ago but he did not have them in stock yet, He was going to get them in for me but I did not ask him at that time since I did not have the funds. Now I do so a trip to Newport is in the cards.

I did hear the Blades with the Hegel units, except the Rost. I asked them to skip the Rost because I would never have used that unit with the Blades. I was lucky that at the time I went to the Hegel/Blade room there was hardly anyone at that room. The lady from Hegel and I cranked out tunes for more than an hour, maybe 2 hours. It was a great listening experience. That is why the 360 is also a strong contender for my future Yamaha speaker.

I am really looking forward to the next show in June because that time frame matches up with the time I will likely buy my upgraded office system.
@yyzsantabarbara 

I am definitely looking forward to The Show Newport. I live about five miles away and will probably go at least two days. Always have gone just one day and am totally tired out and didn't get to see all I wanted to.

Yes, Mike is indeed the guy. He is Excel Audio. I've been for demo's three times and have at least a few more before I make decisions. Mike is a great guy with lots of ideas and is not pushy. You should give him a call; I'd guess the Luxman separates will be burned in in a week or two. I'm not sure if they have arrived yet but he said on Tuesday he'd have them this week.
@pokey77 

2 days is about right for these shows. It is a 2 hour drive with traffic for me but I think I will do 2 days this time. The show is supposed to move from the airport location to closer to Newport. I think the location is still undecided. 
@yyzsantabarbara

FYI - The LA & OC Audio Society recently announced that the show will be held at the Hilton Irvine, June 8 - 10. See the announcement here. http://www.laocas.com/calendar.html
Clarification - The Luxman 590 AXII is 30 WPC Class A @ 8 ohms, not 60 like I said above though it is 60 WPC @ 4 ohms.
@rpeluso Me too owner of 509u.
Are you from Italy, isn't it?
I am not sure 509x can better the 509u, our amp was built with another kind of attention to perfection.
If I had to buy an integrated today (I will never change my 509u) I would buy a 509x without esitations anyway.

@pokey77  I was sure 509x destroyed 590AXII ... no dynamics, no image, no extension ... only midrange bloom!
@biggy79 

Yes, it seems that the 509X is much better than the 590 AXII. Thinking back to that demo, the 509X has great bass response with a nice midrange. The treble is very clear but may be a bit rolled off compared to separates.
509u has no roll off.
Maybe it was a choice to make the new integrated "easier". 
509u was a "no compromise" machine, you had to work hard to find the right match with source, speakers and cables, it was very high sensitive to electricity quality and line phase... it was not an integrated "for all", but I like this way, the way of real hi-fi.
Hi biggy 79,

No, unfortunately from Italy, but my dad was, he was born in Naples (Napoli) in 1919.  

I share with you the very highest esteem for the 509u; I managed to purchase the last one available in the USA (that's what I was told) and I have no regrets about that purchase at all.  I use it with Vandersteen 5A speakers and a Luxman Do6 CD/SACD player, and that system makes music that makes me smile.  
I noticed that this thread has been dormant now for 5 months but thought I would see if anyone has had a chance to compare this Luxman L-509X to a Simaudio 600i or 700i. Thanks
pokey77463 posts01-26-2018 6:41pmClarification - The Luxman 590 AXII is 30 WPC Class A @ 8 ohms, not 60 like I said above though it is 60 WPC @ 4 ohms.

The L-590AX actually puts out over 90wpc @ 8 ohms, switching out of Class A at some point. (presumably @ 30w) Luxman has never publicized this. Beyond that, I’d suggest listening to one for yourself. http://www.navratilaudio.cz/novinky/Luxman_L590AXII_HFW.pdf

What is the difference between Luxman 509x and 507ux ii? I am looking for an int amp that I will keep for years to come. I have dynaudio contour 20 speakers. 

I was thinking about Simaudio 600i v2 but I think for the money luxman might just be the amp. 
@danimaz, perhaps your speakers need more watts?. Generally Luxman gear is conservatively rated. But regarding integrates I am not sure, the measurements for Luxman 509x are here https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-l-509x-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Seems like approaching 200 watts THD shoots to 2%. Not able to find measurements for Simaudio 600i v2.

Dynaudios have a reputation for needing lot of power. May be contour is different. Depends on how loud and how far are you from them.

I'm in my first full month with the 509x after running Rogue 180's, PS Audio BHK 250 and even McIntosh 462 as amplifiers with various preamps C2200 and C50 Mc's and others.. NOTHING has compared to this integrated and speaker wise I've used Focal Sopra 3 and recently ML Imp 13. now moving to ML 15's. I'm completely blown away by the Luxman product with regard to quality build and it's transparent sound.  My dealer suggested the 509 as everything including the Mc's were way to warm for me and was he on the money! I'm so smitten that I want the 900u amp and 900c pre amp as the dealer say's that I will be shocked how much better it will sound! What's interesting is the review posted at the top of this string states that the 509 enjoys the 900c technology which makes sense based on how it sounds. I'm heading to the 900u first but cant swing these two pieces since the retail for $20k per, however, my quandary is what preamp to use? Dealer recommended the Jeff Rowland Capri 2 or the Bel Canto Black EX (too expensive)?  So.. if yo haven't heard the 509 find your dealer and find the money to buy this integrated, you will NOT be disappointed! Any preamp suggestions are welcomed.   
I have heard it and it is spectacular. One of the best Ive heard.  It has me thinking of downsizing.
Anyone compared the 509X against the 507uX II? They are very similarly specced.