MidFi multi channel solution needed for HT.

Due to financial position currently, I can't purchase what I want, so to fill the short term need ... I need a multi channel solution below a $4000 threshold. My speakers demand plenty of high quality power to perform at their best, so I am looking to fill that void that was once filled with high end 2 ch separates. If anyone could comment on their own experiences with any of the below solutions I would appreciate it.

Looking for anyone to comment or suggest on their experience they addressed themselves or have helped others reach a well thought out conclusion on same topic. I am looking for a best quality AVR or separate solution. Not necessarily one with the most features. Budget is $2k-4k

Looking for suggestions from those that have had experience with high quality AVRs or midfi AV separates. Entertaining the following products / companies, not in any particular order.

Considering the following AVRs

NAD t777v3 - great sound has Dirac, but unclear if replacement is coming shortly
Arcam -- buggy and unreliable track record but great sound
Cambridge cx200 - no RC to speak of other than REW 3rd party
Lexicon RV9 - unproven track record since Harman acquired them.
Rotel RMB1580 - expensive
Anthem MRX720 - rumor has it that ARC is 2nd to Dirac.

Not considering any other AVRs as a powered solution. But, I am considering a possible use of denon or marantz avr as a preamp as a midfi separates setup, but not sure how the sound quality would compare to the above AVRs.

1. Outlaw 976 with 5-7ch amp ( ati, monoprice, outlaw, rotel or other midfi amp)
2. Midfi AVR such as ( denon 6x00 or Marantz701x ) with separate amplifiers

My biggest stumbling block in the decision process is whether or not the Outlaw 976 will be 'better' than any of the listed solutions on the preamp and processing end of things. And I am hesitant to jump on board with the Outlaw 976, due to major omissions ( no upgrade path, no network or usb connections ). And the tech support is questionable. But if it sounds hands above the rest, I would gladly consider it.

Looking forward to hearing what others can suggest.

current components:

b&w cdm9nt with matching center ch
Kimber Kable 8tc
Kimber Kable ICs

Thx in advance.
lightfighter2018

Showing 31 responses by lightfighter2018

auxinput.

1. Short answer. No. But being that the equipment is not in its own dedicated space ( great room w/kitchen ) I was under the impression some RC would be beneficial. And as I understand it -- ARC and Dirac are far superior to AudXT.  

2. Yes audio circuit would be important, but I know that finances dictate compromises. 

3.  Upgradability is a perk, but not sure its a necessity.  From what I have researched, upgrading via MDC is somewhat cost prohibitive if you factor in the actual cost of a ' latest and greatest ' AVR vs cost of the module being replaced. Depending on what the state of AVRs are in would dictate that move.

4. I would consider used given the right circumstance.  But I do want/need current hdmi specs as well as 4k passthrough. Atmos is not a requirement. WAF dictates number of speakers. On the amp side, as long as the amp is in good working order - I am all for saving money by purchasing used gear.

---- 

Full disclosure.  I have been out of the AV scene a very long time; although I have tried to keep up on the knowledge end of things by reading what I can.  But, with multiple shops closing that I once visited I have not been able to audition gear. My focus as of late had been raising kids and life got in the way of my once great appreciation for all things audio. Sorry didn't mean to derail the topic. Carrying on... 

The crux of this is that I am trying to solve my failing equipment issue, and I am unable to ' wait ' for the budget to grow or get more funding approval from the wife :).  Comprise will have to be just that... compromise. But I want to at least position myself with decent AV gear.

I am open to any suggestions. 

Can you comment on whether or not the preamp side of NAD, Arcam, Cambridge, Anthem is ' better ' than that of Marantz or Denon -- if I choose to use the AVR as a preamp only?  What about a dedicated preamp such as the Marantz 770x or Outlaw 976?  Are either of these going to be a 'better' choice vs one of the above AVRs positioned as just a pre/pro?  Putting aside room correction choices for the moment.

Thanks in advance. 

tpreaves.

I would prefer to 'wait' to upgrade but I have failing equipment and need to insert a solution that I can live with for possibly the long term.  I realize I may be in the minority - since I don't upgrade or change equipment every few years. Hope I am still accepted into this group.

Waiting for the budget to grow would not be feasible at the moment.  And I am not sure the WAF would approve any considerable increase in the budget.  

As far as I know the next step up in sonic improvement from a $2-$4k budget is ... $6k-10k just for pre pro... I am not sure there is anything in between -- unless I am missing something and that just isn't going to happen unless our financial position changes dramatically. 

So, any other comments or suggestions are welcomed.
In addition. Not an after thought. Just forgot to ask... 

In your opinion which solution ( which brands ) has the best chance of complimenting my B&W CDM9NTs?  

I am open to the idea of getting an avr and purchasing a 2ch amp for LR use.  So I am open to looking at used Rotel, Classe etc.  

So if anyone has any suggestions beyond those please feel free to chime in.
Auxinput. 

If you would - can you explain why the fuse upgrade causes an audible improvement?  Would this work with any other AVR or preamp - or Marantz specifically?

I am not familiar with the fuse mod.
Auxinput. 

Thank you for your recommendations. I will revisit the Marantz 770x option again.  Not meaning to drive this thing in circles. So, I appreciate your input.  If you would like you can expand on why you are not a fan of room correction. Curious. I am under the impression RC when executed well - can have a positive effect.

I am still unsure if I am on board with the room correction band wagon as it were. I read daily that it is the one thing that can improve performance in an otherwise lousy space. Within reason. Although I have no real world experience to justify my thought process. My room is far from ideal, and speaker placement is not ideal so optimizing where possible was my thought process.

I was hesitant to go the Marantz route because I had heard from more than one source that the Marantz of 20 years ago is long gone, and since being bought out - Marantz along with Denon have sacrificed quality of sound for features that detract from it.

Do you think Emotiva surpasses the likes of : Outlaw, ATI, Monoprice ( rebadged ATI ), Rotel, Music Fidelity, or even NAD? Do you think any of these amps would be complimentary to the CDM9NTs that I have?  My other surrounds are Sonance inwalls. Nothing to write home about, so driving them with a high priced amp is not mandatory.

Thanks again for your time. Appreciate gaining perspective from those that know more than myself.

I know you have the Parasound amps. I will try and find a dealer to go and audition them.  If I am unable to do so, and I have to make another choice -- do you think the Anthem or Rotel would be a better fit than NAD or Parasound for my B&Ws?

I am going to drive out to the SF bay area and audition a few amps next week - but just thought I would ask for some guidance since you have been so willing to assist.

Since I have your attention - do you have any general suggestions for IC/hdmi cable 'brands' that don't cost a fortune? What about power cable suggestions?

Interesting that just a fuse can alter the presentation of the amplifier. Has anyone ever bothered to compile a go-to list for recommendations for brand x fuse for brand y amp or avr, and what the end result will most likely be?

I know you listed a few above, but has anyone ever bothered to make it a bit more straight forward rather all of it being a crap shoot or plug and play guessing game? 

Backpedaling a bit about the 770x Marantz. Its my understanding that the Vietnam based mfg'd av gear is not regarded as well put together/designed/questionable QC - etc... as those coming out of china or japan.  Do you find this to be the case as a rule rather than the exception?

AFAIK china and japan mfg ( across many industries ) - just have their mfg QC down to a science, as it were - and therefore end products are just 'better' in general... 

Would you say there is any truth to this?

Well. I pulled the trigger on phase 1. Purchased a Marantz 7704 for a good deal.  Will be auditioning some multichannel amplifiers once my 7704 arrives.

Any short list of AC power cords you can suggest that won't break the bank?  Not looking for $500 power cords. But would like recommendations on some that will be better than the stock cord.
Caphill.
Auxinput.

Thanks.

Will order the silver fuses and the power cable ends you suggest. I may be able to get the nrg4 or 5 steeply discounted if Magnolia carries them. Not sure if Magnolia carries entire Audio Quest line. Will have to make a phone call this week.

Speaking of Class D vs Class A/AB ... do either of you - or anyone else for that matter still feel that class D in general all sound anemic compared to A/AB?

I have heard they have gotten better, but not sure class D has climbed the hurdle of having the ’oomph’ that A and AB are so well known.

Thanks.

Are audio quest IC cables decent? If so - which ones at minimum should I take a look at?

Suggestions on USB, Cat6, Toslink, SPDIF cables?
Auxinput.

Thanks!

I can do DIY for sure. If I am willing to spend ’more’ how much more would I need to spend to get more performance our of a pc? If so, which one do you suggest? Or is the suggestion you made with the suggested mod a sweet spot for dollars spent vs performance for a mid-fi system?

Will order the fuses you suggest. Should I order more than one fuse? Is this something that I need to replace ’only’ if it blows out like any other fuse? Or is there a maintenance schedule I should be aware of. Do these fuses operate in a either go or no-go status or is there degradation over time?

Will my plug ’end’ choice be dictated by which amplifier I end up with? Or will either be similar?

Do you suggest I replace the IEC female plug that is mounted on the 7704? If so, with which one?

Thx in advance.

auxinput.

Thx.  I will check out the Audioquest gear since I have a contact withing Magnolia.

Auxinput.

Which HiFi fuse do I purchase? Slow or fast blowing?  Advantage or disadvantage of either?

And do you have any suggested retailer online to purchase them? 

Thx.
Looks like the fast blow fuses are the only ones on sale at Parts Connexion.

Unless the site has a typo for the slow blow fuses. https://www.partsconnexion.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?search_field=hifi+2a&storeid=*20b7b4...

Prices otherwise are higher than other sites I believe.  

And I can't seem to find description of 'supreme' vs ' silverstar '... and it seems silverstar is hard to come by. Most places seem to only have 2A supreme... 

Thanks again.
I looked through the specs of the 7704 -- I didn't see what is the amperage of the fuse I am replacing to see which would be more ideal for a replacement... 1.8A vs 2.5A.  I know you said either would be okay -- but is one better suited?

Thx.

Auxinput.

Thx.

Quick question. Unrelated.

I have a possible line on some lightly used Acurus a200x2 and a100x3 amps. Approx 200 hrs of use in 12 years. - Owner claims. 

These are Mondial amps.  Not newly resurrected Acurus. for $600 seems like a decent deal, but do you think they would mate well with my b&w's?  

Thx.
In my search for amplifiers I have run across various deals on the following:

Bryston -
B&K
Parasound - older - HCA stuff?  
Lexicon ( rebadged bryston? )
Proceed ( Mark Levinson? )
Sunfire Cinema Grand
McCormack 
Classe -

I know Rotel and Parasound Halo's have been recommended several times, and I am keeping my eye for them. But in the mean time, what/which of the above ( with or without a fuse mod ) would be a good fit for my CDM9NTs?

Any solid advice is appreciated.
Good to know. I am going to find out this weekend if I can get a Rotel 5ch for a decent price at Magnolia for a demo model.  If that falls through, keeping my eyes open.

Again thanks for the insight.

Auxinput.

Thanks again for your input. Maybe I will search for the Bryston and see what I can dig up. Do you think the silver star fuses would be too much for the 7704 and Bryston combo? I

I have always heard that Bryston is well regarded.

Do you have any info on the Lexicon ( rebadged bryston ? ) amplifiers?

Is Lexicon still a viable option now that they are part of Harman? I know at one point many moons ago Lexicon was the go-to for processing. Not sure what the opinions of the audiophile crowd is on Lexicon amplifiers these days.

@geek101 

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it a lot.  As many folks do - I am searching for that ideal place where - great and cost effective meet.  

@hi-endaudio 

Thanks so much.  I am somewhat familiar with the AC name, but have no experience with them.  I was actually considering them, but actually ended up getting a good deal on a Marantz AV7704.  

I am now searching for a 'half decent' multi channel amp.

I am considering a Rotel RMB-1555, due to cost.  Although I know its not a behemoth or a power player I now have to keep cost below 2k for the amp due to an unforeseen family emergency.  I am looking at other options now, but I just haven't made a decision.

I can always swap out and sell whatever I end up with -  off at a later date, but need something to drive my HT for the time being with costs in check.

big_greg

I appreciate the information.  

Given that the Lexicon is a bit aged... 

How old is too old for any amp to exclude them from a candidate?  I know quality of amp matters -- better amps last longer, but looking for general terms... 5 years? 10yrs? 

I will be sure to check out the cinenova amps.

Do you have any other suggestions that would possibly go well with B&Ws CDM9NTs?

I know others have made suggestions but I am always looking for options.  I am watching for deals for used gears, but just haven't seen anything that was earth shattering.

I was considering the Rotel RMB1555 because I can get it for a decent price new... I just don't know if 125w is enough to bring my speakers to life.

Do you have any thoughts on newer Lexicon gears - if they are still good vs the older stuff?

I have a line on a gently/barely used B&K Reference 200.7 -- being sold for $1k.  

At that price point ... if it is what is advertised... is it a better or equivalent to any of these - given the price point?

Rotel RMB-1555 or 1585 ( although I can't get the 1585 for less than $2500 )... but the 1555 I can get for around $1500
Monoprice ATI 200x7 clone - $1599
Emotiva - xpa5 for 699 on audiogon

Also - would the b&k play nicely with my B&Ws?

Thanks. 

auxinput

So I finally decided to pull trigger on amp. Getting the Rotel RMB1575 5x200.Thanks for all of your input.

For my amp setup which fuse do I need?

Marantz 7704 -- Silverstar 2.5A SMALL SB -- ordered - PConnexion didn't have any 1.8A -- I assume the 2.5A will be ok?

ROTEL RMB-1585 -- which fuse and how many?

Does your recommendation still stand on the the silver - wherever I can add it in ... I should do so?

Which PC for the ROTEL?

Which Audioquest XLRs?
@caphill

I actually acquired a newish ATI 2007 for a good deal, from a friend so I went with it. My next foray will be to get a new/gently used 2ch amp for L&R.

But, for now I think I will enjoy the amp for what it is -- but my next immediate step is to get some decent XLRs and power cords and usb cables.

So - if you have any recommendations on cables - I am listening.

After that, I will focus on saving for a 2ch that is a bit ’better’ than the Rotel’s of the world.

@caphill

Thanks.

Will check out the recommendations.

should I consider upgrading the terminations for the PC of the Venom?

How does the Venom compare to the Morrow Cables PCs?

@caphill 

Not one in particular because I don't know enough about either.  But if you were to compare both equally - which product in the Morrow line would be equivalent?

I guess the next question is 'in general' is Morrow a better product line?  If we were using cost as a guide - at $175 for the Venom HC -- would the MAP1, 2 or 3 be closest to the Venom HC?

I would consider the MAP 2 or 3 if they were superior even if they cost a bit more. Partly because Morrow has a trade up program for a 40% discount on new purchase. And It seems Morrow gets some decent feedback from Audiogon members. That is why I was asking if they were worthy of consideration.

I was also looking at power cords and ran across Pangea.  Have any valuable information about Pangea and whether or not they are equivalent to Shunyata or Morrow as value added product vs the esoteric stuff?