New Technics SL1200gr, anyone taken the leap.

Any one here taken the leap on one? In a vintage retro way it is interesting looking
thepreludeimplicit

Showing 7 responses by upstateaudio

Just picked one up after auditioning. It does not sound vintage. Fit and finish are superb. I am coming from a tricked out Rega P3-2000,with aftermarket pulley, ball bearing, acrylic platter and power supply. Hassle free set up. What more can one ask for.
Knollbent. I haven’t done that yet. I am looking at the Audioquest Sydney cables, but wondering how much of difference that would make. IMHO, I would do something about your rack first.  I have a Mobile Fidelity Superheavy weight as a clamp.

Thanks for the tip on Signal Cable. I have some of Frank's cables on my other system. Great value. I just ordered mine.
Hello last lemming. I just picked mine up. Have you upgraded the tonearm cable or mat? 
Signal Cable installed. I burned it in with a audioengine b1 streamer. Lots of natural detail, shimmering highs compared to stock cable. FY reference I am running it through a Simaudio LP5.3 into a Simaudio i5 integrated into Totem Hawks. AudioArt cables throughout the rest if the system.
I spin primarily jazz with some classic rock, progressive rock, roots and folk. Almost no classical. Its been years since I have heard a VPI, there are no dealers in my area. Although, they have a great rep, the continual introduction and discontinuing of models I find very disconcerting (especially the past few years). I come from having my Rega P3-2000 for many years so I am used to listening to  a lively sound. Maybe you can take my comments from that perspective. By the way, I have left the adjustable torque on the factory setting of "fast". I want to get used to the sound  befoe I play with it. My dealer has not played with this control either.