Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 29 responses by aberyclark

I saw that Audio Advisor only had 8 left. I just ordered one. As I update my main system with a much higher end amp and pre, I'll be building a system in out master bedroom. My Nova pre will make the move. However, wife says that my B&k st140 will not make the move. The Nuforce will blend in nicely. I'm sure it will do fine for what I need it for. 
The amp arrived yesterday and I started listening. I have not fully broken in.
This amp is quite heavy for its size and built like a tank. Soundstage goes beyond speakers. So much better than my old B&K.
Sounds lika a veil lifted off the sound. The Nuforce sounds great for both the Older and modern music (My B&K sounded dull for modern music). The highs are not brittle, which is what I was afraid of with my Zu Omen tweeters.

The low end is deep and tight. You can feel the lowest of the notes. The B&k had a loose, bloated low end which worked quite well for old material. This is with the Zu's known for slightly shy bass. 
Cranked up..no compression or strain. I feel I could give it much more (101db efficient speakers). The amp is dead quite. Background is black.

This amp is truly, in my opinion, is a $1300 amp ( original msrp). The $499 price is a STEAL. I suggest pick one up before they are all gone. 
https://www.amazon.com/NuForce-STA200-160-watt-Power-Amplifier-Swiss-design/dp/B01552AKCU?tag=mfconv...

I believe the amp is class a/b...not D 

I'm happy with the way it sounds out of the box. I'll be curious , after more hours of usage, how characteristics will improve. 
After 24 hours of continuous power and background music playing, I did another round of listening. I was thrilled with the amp out of the box. The amp seems to be slightly more "silky" and the low end seems to have "blossomed" FLOABT. I did not think the amp would improve any. However, there is an improvement OR my ears have adjusted differently. Anyway, I did my late night listening with my EQ turned on (I use the eq as a loudness switch for late night listening-slight low end boost). I quickly bypassed the eq off since the low end now seemed too much. I'm at the point now where I may just remove the EQ out of the system. I did do a slight speaker position adjustment to compensate for the much wider soundstage the Nuforce has over my old B&K.

My Zu's are 101db, this amp is dead quiet. Solo piano music seems to come from nowhere.

I'm really thrilled with this amp and can only imagine how much better  the right higher end amp (and Pre) will sound when I shop for one this fall/winter.

Again, I'm coming from a 30+ year old amp...so differences may not be as drastic with something newer. 

It will improve for another week or two. It’s an exceptional amp and bargain
I was totally surprised with how the low end seemed to go deeper and wider. In the past when I have purchased equipment, I’ve noticed a slight high end "taming" (especially speakers) but never low end improvements.
I am now shopping for a high end pre amp-power amp for my main system (the STA 200 is in main system until ---then it moves to a second system with my NOVA Pre). I slightly adjusted speaker position for the wider soundstage that the Nuforce brings. After a few days the amp seems much more silkier and the deep low end has gotten more focused and deep. I'm sure some may be due to the slight speaker adjustments. The STA really makes me want to listen to music so much more than the old B&K. 
After a week of playing, I think the amp has probavly leveled off as far as break in is concerned. The amp is totally superb. Even if I paid $1300 ( original msrp), i would have been thrilled. 

I really cranked it up the other day to uncomfortable levels and no distortion or compressed sound whatsoever. Im sure lots of the "loudness" for an 80 watt ss amp has to do with my efficient speakers. 

One thing this amp does, it has gotten me more aware iquietness. This amp is pitch black, however, I hear a slight hiss with static with my Nova Pre in the loop. I changed the pre amp input ( removed Peachtree) to both my Oppo and Bluesound Node 2 ( changed both voulumes to variable) and the noise was gone. On the Nova Tree, bypassing the gimmicky tube made no difference. 

Now i know to shop for a quiet preamp. Maybe oassive is the way to go since my speakers are so sensative. 
Let us know how the passive and  the STA200 match us sound wise. Im considering a passive pre myself
No problem. The amp is really special IMO. I was amazed how deep the low end goes (not in a bloated way). The top end is very smooth. I would say its maybe just a small tad on the warm side of neutral. Which is great for my ZU "super" tweeters. I’m now shopping for a pre to replace my Nova pre. 
You could probably google. The issue is if the Job is $1200 better which I doubt. 

Just do what i did. I have a tube pre amp and the high gain causes the hiss to become louder thAn normal. I have zu 101 db speakers. Order the Schiit $49 passive preamp and place between pre and nuforce. Adjust the schiit volume to an accepttable level where hum is not heard at sitting position. Very transparent and better than attenuators. I tried attenuators and the sound was slightly smeared. No noticable sound quality reduction with the Schiit. 
Looks like the Nuforce has finally been discontinued. Too bad....I really love mine
The amp originally retailed for $1200. I believe NuForce was discontinuing the amp (from what I was told). Nuforce manufacturing produced new batches to run out parts inventory at facility. However, the word got out and the amp has new life with more manufacturing runs. 

I'll be honest, if the sound of the amp with your speaker combination is what you like, you'll be find to find anything better even at $1200. Like I said earlier, I purchased the amp as a "go between" until more funds became available (my old amp blew). I decided to upgrade other components because I am so happy. After the NuForce, I purchased a Rogue tube RP-5, combo is amazing. 
I was starting to get gung ho about buying a new amp. I’ve changed my focus, again, to focus on cables and a TT. The STA200 just sounds so right ....I can’t believe I purchased this as a stop gap a year and a half ago....and still do not want to upgrade.
My STA200 blew up and cannot be repaired. Stay away at any price.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have one and asking for my personal info:

1.Just blew with normal use I assume?

2. Did it just not turn on? Or did it actually pop and go dead?

3. was it after the amp was on a while or when you first turned it on?

4. Where did you purchase?

My speakers are so easy to drive (101db efficiency), a clock radio hooked to them will fill the room. As far as the amp blowing, there are so many variables it would be hard to figure out what happened with so little info. This is the first time of hearing of such happening with the STA200. Hopefully, the person purchased new with a reputable dealer
Japol316

What Pre amp are you using? You could always hook up a DVD or CD payer directly (do not play anything...it could damage speakers) and see if the hiss is there. I had a hiss issue but it was due to my RP-5 tube pre output. I solved with a Schitt pasive pre between the rp-5 and my STA200. The amp was dead quiet with 2 different solid state preamps
The Nuforce should be dead quiet with Just the sys. When I had my RP-5 in for warranty work, I used my Pro-Ject s2 Pre Dac as a preamp. Dead quiet. I mean dead quiet!!! My Zu's are rated at 101 db. Slight tube hiss is normal (ear against speaker) for the rp-5. The Nuforce has such high gain, along with my efficient speakers, I needed the SYS between the pre and amp to pull things back. 
The hiss with the Nuforce should be louder than the Sony due to higher than normal gain. Do you have a friend’s house you can take the amp to and try there? Also, light dimmers have caused noises with my systems in other homes. Even if the dimmer is not in same room. 
Yes, one person who has never had a real presence on AG. I'm not saying the person is a troll, however, one must look at what is right in front of them. Even if the amp did "pop" it would not be the first time someone got a defective (assuming the cause was internal to the unit) component. Even the big boys gets returns due to defective units. My STA200 runs quite cool, however my speakers are rated at 101db. In fcat, I have had my amp on for hours upon hours playing at decent levels, no issues. 
I'm looking forward to trying. Just curious, I wonder who makes a passive pre with all the bells and whistles?
Thanks for suggestion. I will try "sys only" this weekend. Now, I did use my Prebox S2 as a pre while my RP-5 was getting repaired and it performed outstanding. Finding a passive pre with all the features, inputs and remote as the rp-5 would be quite difficult.