Rega RP8 or Technics SL1200G

I'm a bit reluctant to post this "either or question" because I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, but here goes.

I currently have a Rega RP3-24 with an Exact 2 and I want to upgrade to my final turntable. I have read all the reviews that are available on both tables and both received stellar reviews, although Fremer stated that his RP8 sample table ran a little fast. I like the simplicity of the RP8 ($3000), however, I also like the adjustability of the SL1200G ($4000) which eases the task of trying different cartridges, although I don't plan on swapping out cartridges very often. On the other hand, I am not adverse to using spacers to adjust VTA on the Rega so I can try  non Rega cartridges. 

So it really comes down to which table sounds better, which is built better, etc. I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard either of these tables. I won't have the opportunity to audition either one.

I listen to rock, jazz and some classical.

The rest of my system is:
Cayin A-88T MKII Integrated with Gold Lion KT88's or Svetlana Winged C EL34  
PS Audio GCPH w/Underwood Mod (planning to upgrade to Parasound JC3+)
Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary
Rega Apollo-R
Accuphase T101
Cables: Morrow PH4 to phone preamp 

Thanks in advance.
Eric

ericsch

Showing 17 responses by ericsch

Thanks Matt, I'll take a look at the JA Michell. At first, I was a bit hesitant to consider direct drive, but from my research, I got the impression that the DD technology has improved in recent years.

@shadorne  I think the arm on the Technics might be the weak link .

@williewonka  Thanks for your suggestions, but I plan on giving my
P3-24 to my son.

@dvdkitch, Interesting, the Hana SL is on my short list of cartridges if I get the Technics.
@avanti1960 " consider the VPI prime."

Sorry, not a fan of the unipivot arm.

@viridian
Thanks for your comments, very helpful.
@lancelock , Great to hear that you have reached analog nirvana with your setup. As you probably read in my original post, a Parasound JC3+ is my final upgrade after I get the turntable.

Thanks everyone for your comments, they have been very helpful. 
@johnnyb53 , I've read both of those reviews, also one in Stereophile.
One thing that no one has mentioned is the dreaded Rega hum. My P3-24 suffers from this malady through the TTPSU, I believe. It's not noticeable during playback, but it is there while idling. I'm leaning towards the Technics. I'll make a final decision after the first of the year. Thanks again.  

@opuslab  Interesting, I never thought of the Technics as tractor-like looking, more mid-century to my eye. The Rega certainly is sleek, not as busy looking as the Technics.

@pgalvin     Which cartridge are you using?

@jsm71 
BTW, why the replacement head shell? What are the advantages?  Azimuth adjustment?
@jsm71 
Congratulations on getting your new TT and thanks for your comments. Your cartridge choices are awesome. For my budget, I will probably start with a Hana SL. I  also have the Exact 2 on my current table with very low hours. Although I've been retired for a few years, this will also be my last turntable. I've decided to go with the Technics and will be pulling the trigger soon. 
@js
Coincidence, I will be using a Morrow PH4 that I have in my stash. I'll check out the Shunyata. Thanks.

@jbhiller  Got my 1200 G today. I should have it up and running in the next few days.             

@tzh21y I haven't set up my table yet, waiting for a couple of cables to arrive. May I ask what alignment geometry you are using on your table? 
@tzh21y  I was wondering about that. In his review, Fremer said he used Baerwald, but from what I've been reading online, Stevenson seems to be the consensus. My understanding is that to achieve Baerwald the cartridge needs to be offset in the headshell. I will be using the Feickert Alignment Tool that I just received yesterday.

@avanti1960  I agree, no alignment protractor included with my 1200G. Just an overhang gauge.