Where to hear ATC speakers

I'm intrigued by all the discussion of ATC speakers. I live in NYC, and I can't find anywhere to demo any model, let alone the sctive SCM40s I want to hear.  Anybody know a place?

Also listening to Wilson Sabrina and Vandersteen Quattro CT.   My Thiel 3.6s I've had since 1994 may have bitten the dust.
ahofer

Showing 2 responses by jon_5912

You can still get your Thiels serviced by Coherent Source Services in KY.  It's run by a long time Thiel employee.  I've got Thiels and ATCs and you can't go wrong with either.  I find I prefer the Thiels at lower volumes and for smaller scale, acoustic music.  The ATCs have a dynamic realism that few, if any, passive home speakers can match.  If you decide to go with ATC or some other high order crossover speaker I'd be curious if you feel you've lost something significant.  Of the speakers you mentioned I think only Vandersteen has a first-order, phase correct approach.
Regarding ATC and phase response, I looked into this a little bit a few months ago and came away with the impression that they probably had perfect phase alignment between the drivers at the crossover point but that they probably weren’t in phase over the entire frequency range to the degree that Thiel and Vandersteen are. I’m not sure, though. I don’t understand the technical side that well and what I found on the ATC site wasn’t that clear. If anyone understands and can explain this it’d be great.