Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 50 responses by grannyring

Yes the 2170 changed my life. I listen to music in my home 12 hours a day. No TV. It never gets too warm, consumes only 20-25 watts of power, is lightweight and attractive, and is not a fussy piece of gear to own. I keep mine on 24/7 for best sound with no worries.

It makes your speakers sound as the designer intended in your own space. It replaced $20,000 with of tube gear, dac, and assorted cabling! It simply sounds wonderful. Always musical with beautiful tone and ease. Music is never forced or edgy. I have tried several tube amps with the 2170 and the 2170 sounds best on its own. Yes even better than the tube amps I used with the 2170 as a preamp.
I even tried Lyngdorf’s own 2400 amp hooking it up with a digital cable. No, the 2170 sounded best on its own again.

Room correction, in my estimation, does so much to improve the sound that you quickly forget about tubes in the system. I tried yet another tube amp last week as I do love tubes and building point to point wired tube gear. This was a nice el84 based amp using old Scott iron. I have been working on the amp for some time. I love the sound of the amp, but in the end the 2170 on its own was better yet again.

The 2170 is the absolute center piece of my system and I love it!

Being an avid DIY guy I did do a couple of things to my unit that voids the warranty😔, but the results were stellar. Just check out my virtual system to read about the details.

I can easily and whole heartedly recommend this one box system to all here on the Gon.
I should also mention the wonderful feel, sound, and fine tuning of the volume control.  The 2170s volume dial adjusts by 1/10 dB increments.  High efficiency systems can dial in the volume perfectly, unlike those sometimes frustrating stepped attenuators. The knob has a free wheeling touch and delicacy that is a joy to use.  The remote also adjusts by as little as 1/10 dB steps.  One can still ramp up the volume quickly by remote or knob.  Just a pleasure to deal with. 
I have used the 2170 on several different speakers in two different rooms. Harbeth 40.1, AZ Crescendo, Tekton DI, and now the Living Voice OBX RW. Room Perfect was a breeze to use and each time greatly improving the resulting sound. I did not experiment that much on where I placed the mic, but followed the instructions given. Each speaker benefited greatly from Room Perfect. My first room was well treated with all manner of absorbtion, bass traps, and diffusion around the room. Roon Perfect also improved the sound in that room.

Lyngdorf states you can place the speakers up against the wall behind them and still get great sound. I agree that Room Perfect helps with this arrangement if needed. It is not the best placement however. If you have no choice, then RP will certainly help. However, for best results the speakers should be placed where you get the best sound without RP and then you run RP for the best sound possible in your room. I have no doubt that more experimentation with mic placement, per Kenny’s comments, may well yield sound even more to one’s liking. Very versatile piece of gear.

I also think the simplicity of the system is yet another reason why the unit sounds so great. System complexity is greatly reduced with very, very short signal paths. Think of the complexitity and long signal paths with traditional separates and all manner of long cabling. This traditional method of system assembly is more prone to noise as more cabling and longer signal paths certainly create the environment for additional noise and sonic degradation. .
Great point on the volume control! This is often a place of sonic degradation in many preamps! 
Correct, there is no advantage to doing a D/A conversion outside the Lyngdorf. We 2170 owners sold our expensive and well regarded dacs. Again, the synergy, simplicity, sound quality and short signal paths of the 2170 have eliminated the need for an outboard dac.

Lyngdorf will need the following to sound its best;

- let it burn in for at least 200 hours before any decision making critical listening
- needs a good power cord and conditioner
- leave it fully on. It sounds much better after being on 12 hours. Leave it on, not in standby. 
I use Roon’s DSP EQ to great effect.  Love Roon with Tidal and the 2170. 
Another good dealer for Lyngdorf and other good gear is Neal at Sound Science. I purchased my 2170 from Neal. Great service. I also purchased my computer/server from Neal. 
http://soundsciencecat.com

Actually the caps will likely last longer as the temperature never gets above slightly kind of warm .Great environment for caps. Also, the off/on cycling is most likely more harmful and stressful for the caps. High heat in Class A amps rob caps of life. 
I use Roon with the 2170 perfectly. Love Roon with Tidal. Great combo for sure. I understand the newer features are wonderful.  Hope the more powerful unit is as musical. 
I just have to ask the question as to why folks would want to spend more on the 3400 When most of us don’t need that much power? Often times the more powerful version of the same brand amplifier does not sound as good as the lower power version. I actually had an opportunity to trial the Lyngdorf 2400 amplifier and actually preferred the sound of my 2170. 2400 had more control of my speakers and my music had more authority if you will. However in the end it just did not sound as good as the 2170. The 2170 has a certain musicality that 2400 just did not match.

It may well be the 3400 sounds better than a 2170 but none of us really know. I do know often times more watts comes at a sonic expense. Food for thought.
Easy tweaks that the 2170 loves.  Good USB cable such as the Phasure LUSH. Good power conditioning and power cord.  She does respond to it. 
@essrand

Great! Please remember that the unit does not sound it’s best until being on 12 hours. I leave mine fully on, not in standby. The mids and overal tone improve noticeably. This is not a small point and one owners should be aware of.

There are also other ways to get more of that 300 tube magic and I would be happy to help. One involves a mod/upgrade I did to my unit and choice of cabling also Impacts tone and mids.

I, like you, rid myself of all manner of tube gear, cords, and hassle.
I really don’t want to do so on this thread. The unit sounds amazing without it. I don’t want to derail it. It is only for folks who are willing to nullify the warranty, spend at least $300 - $500, and have advanced skills. It requires taking apart the unit to access the back of the circuit board and then desoldering parts and resoldering new parts that are very big for the space. Advanced skills are a must or the unit will be ruined in quick fashion.

You can go into the 2170 settings and turn off the auto standby mode.
My wire of choice for this unit includes the Phasure Lush USB, my own DIY USB, and a musical power cord such as one made with Furutech  FP-SO22N Nano AuAg 14 AWG Power Cable and high quality connectors.  
The also use a Core Power Tech conditioner. Remember the 2170 only pulls perhaps 20-30 watts when operating. I use mine with a CPT Equicore 150. All that is needed. The 1800 is a great unit! @radiohead99 you have  all you need and more 😊

The new 3400 is likely to pull more, but still very little relative to other amps and separates.
My speakers are not there.  The musicians play in space before me. So realistic it shocks me weekly. Maybe my current speakers play a role also.  The RP in the Lyngdorf is not like others, but in a league of its own.  The Focus/listening position settting is the key.  
98% knowledge and 14% correction. I do think it is important to dial in your speaker’s placement without running RP and then after some time dialing that in....run RP.
Well Kenny you know I love my Ifi Micro 3  USB also 😉.   See my above post.  You have been a great help to me! 
Great post @bullitt5094!  Our digital front end is so important. I applaud you for all the work and time you gave this test.  Wow!   I learned a great deal from Kenny and through reading. I will add these points. My front end is much like yours it seems.  I also use Roon. 

- you really need to add both the Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer if using a computer server. I cannot overstate the Sonic importance.

- my computer uses a Nice SOTM USB card - SOtM txUSBExp - that I power with a nice linear power supply. Do not let that card be powered by the computer! A quality linear power supply is a must. Huge SQ improvement.

- I use the IFi Micro USB 3 and it is my digital MVP tweak! This must also be powered by a nice LPS. Very, very important. Your DC cable quality is also very important folks. Make one using Canare Quad Core cable and Oyaide DC connector.

- get a great sounding USB cable. The Phasure LUSH or the one I make. Yes I can make you one. Kenny is now testing it.

The front end is the MOST important way to get the most out of your 2170.

I will tell you even a modest LPS from Teradak is a must on your usb card and Ifi Micro. The difference is not small, it is rather substantial. I compared to the Ifi power supply and it was not close. Teradak LPSs can be purchased for $120-$150. The sound is so much more relaxed, less glare and smooooth! 
The tonality is spot on with the 2170. Never thin or lightweight ...... sounding  ....... Never. It is slightly warm with excellent bloom and meat on the bones. After room correction everything just falls into place and you never will think about amps, dacs, and preamps anymore. Once dialed in with a Room Correction and proper burn in all is unfussy bliss.  😁

Perhaps  you can trial one with some hours on it from a dealer. 
Remember the 2170 is not an Amplifier it is a system with amp, preamp, dac, and room correction in one box.  The price per watt for this system is staggeringly low based on the SQ. You won’t need those ICs and power cords anymore.  Ad up the cost of separates including a dac, preamp, Power amp and all the cabling needed for those separates and the 2170 is super affordable.  
Ditto on the iFi Micro USB 3.  Power it with a nice LPS and the improvement in sound is stunning.  
My 2170’s display gets hard to read the deeper one goes into the menu screens. It is getting worse so I decided to email Lyngdorf last week. Thus far no response from customer service. I just sent another email and we will see. My unit is no longer under warranty and I stated that. Since they don’t have a US authorized repair facility I am sure my unit would have to go to Denmark on my dime.

Not excited about shipping it and would rather have them send me a new display board to install myself. Don’t know if they will do that as I have not heard from them on my issue.

I suppose future buyers should be aware that there is no US authorized repair facility. That may be a no go from some and that is reasonable.

I hope customer service gets back to me. When they do I will update all.
Yes, richer tone and more full bodied without losing detail. Glare on some of those offending vocalists and recordings are now better right? Now wait to you hear them post mod. Now about your USB cables?
Yes contact me offline on the USB cables. I make one that according to testers like kdude (Kenny) is as good or better in some systems than the Curious and Phasure LUSH. I have both the LUSH and Curious here. They are great USB cables.. great. My design has been preferred by a couple of testers and myself 😊

These LPSs are really a must for our digital front ends as they are more more organic and natural sounding. 
Update on my display screen issue on the 2170. Lyngdorf is sending me the part to install myself for the fix. I told Them i did not want to ship and had the skills for DIY. Most impressed they are doing this. Very happy with their service! 
@grey9hound

you may like mine as much or better for far, far less money 😁 They are that good. I know the Purist are very good.
@grey9hound 

thanks for asking.  I just can’t share my design as I work hard at it and it is unique. I will say it sounds very rich, organic and natural.  The tone is beautiful and it helps your total music collection sound good.  Not just those few great recordings. 

The 5 volt Vbus is isolated and shielded from the data wires with a unique shielding material. 

How is your rig sounding these days? 
@grey9hound 

wow! You have been busy and I bet you have it dialed in wonderfully.  
Lyngdorf came through and I did receive a brand new display board. Very good of them. Much impressed with their customer service.
I know a dealer for Lyngdorf who told me the 3400 is better in every way sonically and feature wise.  He is very excited about the 3400 and has been selling the 2170 for some time loving the 2170. I trust his ears and comments as he turned me onto the 2170 before anyone here even heard of it. Neal at Sound Science. 
Tweak idea for you 2170 owners that improves the sound. More open and improved soundstage. Take the top off. Yup, take the top off.  See what you think Agoners. I tried it all day today. I like what I hear. Got the idea from Michael Green.  
I noticed this on another piece of gear several years ago. My TRL Dude tube preamp. It sounded better with the top off. No kidding. So far I think the 2170 does also. I will evaluate over the next week. Sometimes the initial impression is not lasting 😀

This mod won’t void your warranty! 
Ok I will say it again because it works! Take the top off your 2170 as she loves it.  Frees her up to be all she can be or something like that.  I liked it more and more as the days passed.  Don’t do it if you have kids or pets that can get inside! 
I installed the new display board that Lyngdorf sent me. It was pretty simple and I just had to figure out how to remove the front face plate so I could get at the board to remove and install the new one.

So,  so much better now with the display characters/font so much bigger and now sharply focused no matter how deep into the menu I go.

Big thank you to Lyngdorf sending me the board for the fix. Very good of them. Took me about 45 minutes. Most of that time was figuring out how to get that darn face plate off!
Great to hear Bob! Yes you should be hearing a more relaxed natural tone.   Happy for you and thanks. 
I did in a room 34x22 with 10 foot ceilings. Far more power than needed really. Ran them with absolute ease. Several others here will also chime in as they have the same combo. They are a wonderful team together. 
Does anyone have a usb input card they are not using in their 2170? I would like to buy it from you if possible.  Very easy to take out.  Let me know and thanks.  Bill. 
Lungdorf’s service is first rate as an FYI.  They are not new to HEA selling gear for many years already. 
Ha Lungdorf typo! Yes, they do seem responsive.  Shipped the part I needed from Denmark to my home in 2 days!