Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 50 responses by kdude66

Yes,USB audio can be quite a mess but with proper selection of the gear in your audio chain it can be also quite excellent.
I use a upgraded and modded Audiovox network switch then to a pair of FMC’s,that remove any noise or grunge that Ethernet can have,I than connect to my SOtM ultra 200 via Ethernet cable and than output via USB to the Lyngdorf.
I’ve definitely discovered that everything in the digital world makes a difference,sometimes not for the better.

It would be nice to eliminate any usb stuff in the chain though and go directly in with a Ethernet connection,but since I use roon,tidal and output to HQ player,it’s not clear to me if the new 3400 will be Roon ready.I need to email Lyngdorf and ask them.

I also use the Acoustic Revive LAN noise isolater between my cable modem and router,I’ve tried it in different positions but seems to do the most good in that spot.

More to follow,
Kenny.
“Something I found online was it being used solely as a preamp/room tune here, system 2”

The 2170 has digital outputs to use with their own digital pwr amp,I’ve never tried one,but I’m sure it could be used with active powered speakers such as those Dyn’s.

Kenny.
Wow I haven’t heard the old “Watts for dollars” thing in many yrs.
I know for myself with the gear I owned at the time of receiving the 2170 from a dealer in Alabama for a demo in my own system for a week,that’s when I decided on the 3rd day that the Lyngdorf was certainly a keeper with great promise,just needed to really learn about this technology and optomize it in my system.
When I was finished selling off unneeded gear,preamps,amps,dac’s,I easily put 40k back into my pocket.I don’t even count all the cables and pwr cords not needed any more.

The Lyngdorf needs to be used as the one box solution that it was designed for with only digital inputs being used,even though it has analog inputs that actually sound very good when I have used them just for experimentation in my system or others.The analog outputs via a single ended connection are intended for subwoofers,but I have tried some diff. Pwr amps just because But wasn’t that impressed with the sonics of a different flavor in amplification when I’ve been greatly rewarded with the sonics it produces all own it’s own.

After I used this new kid on the block in my system and Offcourse sent the very accommodating dealer a check,I had put about 400 hrs or so which was enough time for complete break in.The Lyngdorf needs to be powered up all the time and you can program the display to go dormant after a min or two,switching to standby doesn’t really work.I have only had my Lyngdorf off when I’ve taken it out of my system for testing or taken to a friends system for demo purposes.

I needed to backup what I was hearing with some measurements of my own,so I took it too a friend that has all the proper test equipment and found out in harmonic waveforms that the 2170 puts out mostly 3rd order harmonics with a good quanity of 2nd order as well.But definitely has no nasty sounding upper order harmonics at all and the 2170 uses zero negative feedback of any kind.

Nelsen Pass,who has always been one of my top Idols in this industry wrote a very interesting article about amp distortions and what may be pleasing or not pleasing to most people.

More to come about the 2170’s topology and room perfect.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_dist_fdbk.pdf

Kenny.
“Lyngdorf lists the 3400 as Roon Ready and Spotify Connect are part of it's streaming services.”

I did see this info but haven’t seen the 3400 added to the Roon list of Roon ready devices.Not a huge deal breaker for me.

http://lyngdorf.com/tdai-3400/

I have just sold my present speakers which are PPA trio 15 with the Beyma amt tweeter and in the next few weeks will receive a pair of Silverline Audio Bolero Supremes and also Lawrence Audio Double Bass speakers so I’m looking at a 3400 for possibly needing more pwr than what the 2170 has into 8ohms.I’m gonna try the 2170 with each speaker and then decide. I’m also not in any hurry to buy the latest anything,let the dust settle and make sure it doesn’t have any bugs.

Kenny.
The 2170 isn’t a class d amp per say,it works differently than other class d amps.
The 2170 and probably the 3400 as well,not enough info on the 3400,use a Texas Instruments chip that converts any incoming “Digital” signal into PWM and then any kind of Dsp is applied to the signal at this time,that would include volume setting,room perfect,and the preset voicings,which I don’t use but have played with.The finished dsp corrected amplified signal is then converted to a analog waveform right before the speaker outputs.

I know I had the same concerns before buying one of being outdated in 2 or 3 yrs like any other dac,but with the conversions that are taking place from the digital side only I don’t see any concern to be obsolete any time soon.

Now if you do use the Analog inputs,the incoming signal is converted to pcm 24/96 first before being converted to PWM,I can’t recall the dac chip offhand,It’s a top quality chipset that’s common in today’s technology but certainly will be obsolete or outdated as time goes by.I don’t use any of the Analog inputs,I only stream a Digital signal from my Roon endpoint via USB,so I personally don’t worry about it.
I also use HQ player in combination with Roon and tidal,and Offcourse HQ player uses software for its upsampling and filtering with lots of everchanging capability.All I know for sure is any change that I make with the HQ players settings definitely are reflected in the sound.

I don’t know anything about what Crown is using nowadays,I haven’t used any of their gear in yrs,so I can’t comment on that.

Kenny.
I’m gonna try my best to explain my thoughts from experience using Room perfect correction and maybe I can answer some of the questions that members are asking.

I don’t have a treated dedicated listening room anymore since moving 3yrs ago into a much smaller house,so our living room is our main listening room and for tv as well.Luckily this room is 12x25x9 and has no corners that are close to the speakers when set on the long wall.To keep up the WAF factor I decided not to go crazy with room treatments and deal with the compromise in other ways,most Listening rooms are compromised in some way.

My experience with Rp was initially not that great and took some work in learning my room better,so I end up with only 5 mic positions and very little correction on the Lyngdorf.Room perfect isn’t 100% perfect and you most definitely wouldn’t want any kind of speaker placed really close to the wall.Basically with some trial and error and six different times of going through the setup,over about a months time,I found the best mic positions and correction that I feel took the room completely out of the picture and I’m hearing the true character of any speaker that I have.As I mentioned earlier I’ve just bought 2 sets of used ones and I’ve sold my Pap trio 15’s locally.So I’m currently using my highly modded Jbl L-150’s that I purchased in 1982 that I’ve kept all of these yrs.With a careful setup and placement of these old uglies,that’s what my wife called them,I’m getting sonics and sound quality that I never knew they were capable of,but I still want my others to show up.

I’ve noticed a much better and more precisely layered soundstage with Rp than any system that I’ve ever had before.With experimentation I do believe you can transform a system to have a wider and deeper stage that to my ears is believable and realistic but you don’t just plop the Lyngdorf into your system and hook it up and expect miracles.

The Lyngdorf can work wonders with subs also,has built in crossover’s that you can use and also with the mains if they aren’t full range,you could high pass your mains at 40 to 60 Hz and take the load off of the amp and speaker which might increase your midrange clarity and focus.

More thoughts another time,
Kenny.
We’re getting some good questions here that I wished I could answer,the 3400 should have more than enough pwr for most speakers without needing the external 2400 pwr amp that they show on the website.Kinda confusing to me and I agree with what has already been said,not enough info yet.

I know very little about the Hegel or Naim products that are similar but I don’t believe they utilize any type of room correction that I have ever seen,and for me that made all the difference in my room.

I’ve played around with what Roon has in their lastest build but I got no where near as good results.

Kenny.
Very good Informative words being written from actual owners that are digging the ease of use and most importantly the sonics they are getting with the 2170.

The volume control as Grannyring spoke about is the most transparent and at the same time,gives the very best low level detail and dynamics of any volume control implementation that I’ve ever used.That would include a bent audio tap x with autoformers.

In operation the volume control changes the pwr supply voltage only and retains the same current which most definitely helps the dynamics at lwr volume settings.

The Lyngdorf also has a sensitivity setting on each input individually and you can change the gain to match in volume with other inputs.Similar in theory of changing preamp gain but with no detected downside.

Kenny.

Yes,as mentioned before.
The Lyngdorf has built in crossovers that are completely adjustable for pairing with subwoofers.I use this feature with my pair of subs,when I use them.

Here’s a link to the 2170’s manual.

http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tdai-2170-owners-manual_v17.pdf

Kenny.
When I first got my 2170 six months ago,I was in the process of going all digital anyway so I wasn’t too critical with the sound I got playing analog through it.I can say this though I always have seeked a more detailed and resolving sound vs super warm and lush.Offcourse I still demanded some warmth and no fatigue also,my favorite cartridges over the last few yrs were Xyz’s if that tells you anything.My favorite stage was a Ray Samuels Xr-10b and really never liked any tubed based stages.

I’m going to be highly suprised if Lyngdorf or Pink Faun make a stand-alone Ethernet input board for the 2170,It probably would be to big physically to fit the existing case.Maybe I will be proved wrong,time will tell.

Kenny.
Jcarcopo,
I can’t believe what I’m reading,Lol.
Please keep us informed on the 3400 and I hope it works out for you like the 2170 has for me.

There’s a chap on Computer audiophile that’s in England that has ordered a 3400 and he paid the equivalent to 6k in dollars,If that’s correct than that will be the cheapest finest sounding 400 watts that I have ever heard of.🤑

I’ve already blown up my budget with 16k worth of speakers so I will just be in envy for a while.

Kenny.
HiFi Heaven just quoted me a price of $7199.00 for a fully loaded 3400,they have 4 coming in within a week but no plans for a in store display demo unit for awhile.

Kenny.
I’m like Grannyring and I leave mine all the time,offcourse we use it all day and evening.I’ve proved it many a time when I’ve had it off in my own system or when I’ve taken to other people’s houses and tried it in their systems.It’s not that it sounds bad by any means but it’s not going to be at it’s best either.Needs to be on around 12 hrs to be really stabilized,nature of it’s pwr supply.

I’m not worried one bit about the little Wilma LPF caps,they are cheap and last very long time anyhow.And besides when I do get a 3400 in a few months,I will be changing the caps like Grannyring did,and some other mods as well.
He has told me personally how much a profound difference the change will make,and I know from firsthand experience changing the low pass filter caps on the ncore amps that I had several yrs ago.

Kenny.
I agree,I didn’t think in those terms,I don’t think about class a topologies anymore since I have this cool running one box wonder.

Kenny.
ron1264,
Yes any input looks like they could used as ht bypass,I don’t have a ht so never tried it.I won’t be selling my 2170 after I buy a 3400,I will keep it for a 2nd system.That’s how much I like them.
Here’s a link to the manual,

http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tdai-2170-owners-manual_v17.pdf

Kenny.

You can do it either way,I basically like to setup everything,subs,speaker position optimized and everything else dialed in and run rp last.I do believe I get the least amount of correction for a given room knowledge %.

I hope this helps you,if you have more questions just ask either here or via a pm.

Good luck,
Kenny.
Glad you tried one,only one way to find out.

I don’t have di speakers,got rid of them first of the year,I have Silverline bolero supremes and also will be getting a set of Lawrence audio double bass speakers next week.

I haven’t upgraded my 2170 either,your going to have to take the main board out of the case to be able to solder the LPF caps and you might as well upgrade the speaker output wire at the same time.
I will do mine after I get a 3400 in a few months,I won’t be selling my 2170.I’m going to keep it for my 2nd system and or backup.

Would you say that rp got rid of some of the cabinet talk that the Zu’s have by nature.I know what they sound like I used to own them.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.
Yeah that’s the ticket,I remember now you don’t need that readme.doc.That’s just for information only.

Glad you got it figured out and Thank’s a bunch guys for all these informative posts.I know there’s lots of folks contemplating about the Lyngdorf products and like reading actual user impressions,priceless info really.

Kenny.
I updated my 2170 to the latest firmware,135a,but I don’t recall exactly how I accomplished this.It’s been several months,I just keep messing with it till it finally did load up.
I believe the latest firmware mostly just added some new voicings,which are the preset equalizer settings,which I don’t use anyway.

With my dedicated computer which is the main piece in my digital front end,I don’t use Lyngdorf’s usb software plugin,I have no need for it because I’m networked with Ethernet until the last step and I use the Sotm ultra 200 renderer,which converts and reclocks into a Usb format and then connects to my Lyngdorf via usb cable.

I’m glad to read that it’s working out for you.

Kenny.
There’s a 3amp 250 volt fuse on the board inboard of the incoming ac input.It’s replaceable but isn’t the same type as a hi fi tuning fuse.

You would have to get very creative to modify,and I wouldn’t recommend unless you have some very good skills.

Kenny.
Unless yours is different than mine,it’s just a replaceable fuse and not a breaker.Mine is a small round sealed fuse that plugs into it’s little holder via 2 prongs.I don’t recall the brand name but I’m sure “Mouser” has them.

Kenny.
Very good question but no definite answer yet.
Time will tell.

You may be able to snag a 2170 on the used market,they come up once in awhile,won’t be mine though.😃.

Hopefully you will be able to get one in your system and hear what all the fuss is about.

Kenny.
Yes,I’m getting the same info from the Lyngdorf USA rep. from a email that I received today.He said that if the 3400 sales well,and they certainly expect it to,that in a couple of yrs the 2170 would be revised and include a Ethernet input.

The 3400 is a true certified ROON endpoint,meaning Lyngdorf paid the Roon licensing fee but Roon hasn’t added this product to there list yet but will.

That means the 3400 will be truly plug and play and very easy to setup with Roon,Tidal,HQ player and Qbuz streaming when and if Roon decides to add,sometime this year.

No more USB stuff will be needed.

Kenny.

Mofojo,
Just think if you buy either,you may not need any other gear including cables and can sale them and pocket the difference.

That’s how I have the means to buy the Lawrence Audio double bass speakers which I should get tomorrow.

Best of luck to you,
Kenny.
Again I haven’t seen all the 3400 specs,but I definitely know my 2170 will accept any digital format that I’ve feed it.

Most definitely will accept and respond to the sound of Dsd512 and or 32/384 pcm that’s upsampled with HQ player.I upsample all my Redbook and or Tidal to 32/384 and have also used Dsd,but I like pcm better.

Roon as a player has a long way to go to catch up with HQ players upsampling,filtering and noise shaping features.

If you are thinking about Dsd 512 upsampling and some of the advanced filtering your going to need some serious computer horsepower.

I only use Roon as my library interface,music database and Tidal streaming integration,works flawlessly.

Kenny.
Yes I know that.I was talking about the changes coming for Roon by itself and also the adding of Qbuz streaming with Roon like tidal.

I assure you the 2170 will accept a dsd 512 format,I know I used it,but I prefer pcm at 32/384 upsampled by HQ player along with its poly-sinc-xtr-mp filter and ns5 dither.

I’ve had my 2170 for 6 months now I know it’s capability.

I hope you enjoy it,

Kenny.
My Lawrence audio double bass speakers showed up today,all I can say is OMG,so glorious.

Double impacts to Double bass with a couple of others in between.

Enjoy that music,
Kenny.
essrand,
Please let us know how that 2170 works out for you.

ronrags,
Yes,the violins were on my list several yrs ago but I didn’t really want a standmount monitor speaker,my last ones were Dyn c1’s,great speaker though,just not popular anymore unfortunately.Dealers almost have to hold their customers at gunpoint to sale them.
What do you power those violins with,just curious.
Thank You for the kind words and yes these double bass speakers are just glorious.

Kenny.
mofojo,
Glad you are going to try a 2170,only one true way to find out,and I wish you the best of luck.
If you need any help with the setup,you know where I’m at.

Kenny.
Unsound,
I will attempt to answer some of your questions if I can,but most of Lyngdorf’s operating technology is in my opinion,proprietary to them and until someone buys their own and pops the top open for a peek,Offcourse most will have no idea what they are looking at.

I try and respect the manufacturers of our components that we buy and I’m only willing to say so much.

The only “spec sheet” is the online manual that’s available to anyone,and direct email’s to their engineering department will get you no answers either.

What I can tell you is that any “Digital” signal that you feed into the 2170,via any of it’s digital inputs is first converted to PWM and then any form of DSP manipulation,volume control,equalization voicings If used,and room perfect correction are applied to the PWM signal before being sent to the amplification portion of the unit.

Now if you feed a “Analog” signal into the 2170,it must first convert into a digital signal via a hardware dac that is 24/96 by chip topology and then is converted to PWM and on down the chain.

Without question to my ears,and using a 2170 for 6 months now,the better that you feed it most definitely the better it will sound.

I can’t really comment at all about your questions related to equalization,whether fixed or parametric,or db range either.I simply have no idea and I don’t use any of the preset voicings that the 2170 offers,I have used Roon’s Parametric equalizer with some speakers with good results,I think the key is to not be very heavy handed with any of them.

I hope I’ve helped you,
Kenny.
Roon’s Parametric has a dB range of +12 to -24 with any frequency selection that you want,fully customizable.

Have you ever used Roon,or are you just pondering about it.

Great for shaving a particular frequency that may be troublesome with some speakers.A example would be around the 2k to 4k presence region,and some speakers simply aren’t flat there and have bumps up there.So a little shave at 3k at 1.3 db to 1.8 db may make a huge difference in the sonics and make that troublesome speaker much more listenable and enjoyable.

Kenny.

kuky,
And you own a 2170 and have looked inside and traced these paths out,or have you just read this info on another website somewhere.

Like I said before,most of what’s happening inside a 2170 is highly proprietary to Lyngdorf and they don’t offer any information related,and realistically I don’t blame them.

Kenny.
The 2170 is really quite simple to understand when you learn exactly how it works,you realize how brilliant the Lyngdorf folks are.

I’ve read all kinds of funky theory’s that some folks come up with on other websites and I just don’t know where or how they come to these conclusions.

People tend to over complicate this technology and in relative terms,it’s quite simple,for all that it does and the sonics to my ears prove that.

The 2170 has a great purity and or transparency in the tone and timbre of your music that never has been fatiguing to me.

Folks that are thinking about one just need to try one for them self’s and then decide.

One thing that’s a given to me is It’s definitely a great big amp world out there with lots of great choices,more than we have ever had in this hobby of ours.

Kenny.
Kuky,
Without wishing to start a debate,I Strongly question your overall knowledge about electronics in general,when you made this previous comment.

”grannyring I wouldn't run it 24/7, those LPF caps won't survive for ever, no reason to run it 24/7, it's not tube or class A amp to heat up and stabilize components to perform optimally.”

I’ve been a diy guy for 40 yrs in this hobby and also I’m a Avionics Technician at a major airline for 30,even though I know I will always continue to learn,I have learned a fair amount up to now.

Your previous post on how the 2170 operates isn’t exactly the same as the link you provided,may be a language translation difference.

I see that you are new here and I welcome you to the Audiogon community,you probably have already noticed that there’s a whole wealth of knowledge from folks that have been in this hobby a long time,but we also do occasionally get a internet “Troll” popping in.

Anyway the bottom line is the wonderful sonics,and ease of operation the 2170 offers at a modest price considering all the other equipment that I replaced and sold and was able to step off of the amp and dac merry go round.Woohoo.

Also would be able to pay for a 2170 just with the cost of cables and or room treatments that are no longer needed,just a thought.

Enjoy the music and your 2170,
Kenny.
Anyway on to something more substantial,

I received my pair of Lawrence Audio double bass speakers on Thursday and have enough time on them to give some initial impressions.Several folks have been asking.

They most definitely sound as beautiful as they look,and the midrange and on up will remind you of the clarity and transparency of panels but with a much wider sweet spot,and just a wonderful precisely layered holographic stage.
The 2 five inch tall amt’s cover a very large range of the musical signal,1.8k to 30k and mate up seamlessly to the 8inch mid woofer which gives a really nice full meaty midrange and lwr mids,no thinness anywhere with this speaker.There’s 2 ribbon tweeters,the one on the front handles 7k to 40k and the rear firing ribbon 9k to 40k.
The beefy 12 inch woofer on the bottom produces outstanding bass from 150 Hz to 28 Hz flat in my room and measure at -3db around 25hz,plenty of bass for most of the music that I listen to without needing my pair of subs.

They also have excellent detail and dynamics at a whisper in volume,better than any speaker that I can recall listening to,and Offcourse the 2170 helps with that.

These big speakers simply just disappear and nothing about them really calls attention to them,they are just seamlessly well balanced and will require no Dsp parametric equalizer from Roon.They just sound like music,a brilliant very well implemented marriage of ribbons,amt’s and cones.

The speakers aren’t really very fussy at all in placement,unlike some that I’ve owned,but I spent a couple of days with combo’s of toe in,front baffle rake angle,and center to center spacing.

After all the positioning was done and I was satisfied that I got about the best that I could,I did a Room perfect setup with 5 mic positions that give me 98% room knowledge and 12% correction.This is about average #’s for me in my room.

I’ve taken my 2170 into other people’s homes for demo purposes and I’ve had correction #’s as high as 48% at the same knowledge % of 98.

It’s a little bit of a process to learn your room and take very carefully placed measurements with the mic,but well worth it in the end result.

My personal opinion about Rp is less is more.

Best to all,
Kenny.
radiohead,
No I’m not wrong.I know the manual says only Dsd 128,but I have upsampled to dsd 256 or 512 via Roon and or HQ player and stream via Ethernet in my local network to my Sotm ultra 200 endpoint,which Offcourse is a Usb renderer and then Usb to the Lyngdorf.

Works for me all day everyday,I prefer pcm 32/384 So that’s what I use mostly for everything that I play.

Are you using the USB input.

Glad to read that you like it.

Kenny.
Yes,I added pics of these speakers on my thread on Audio circle under the enclosures.I’m not really into the Audiogon virtual thing.

Uberwaltz,they are just really cool to look at,and the sound matches.
My wife just loves them.

What model of Wilson’s do you have.

Kenny.
Uberwaltz,
Yes for some strange reason Lyngdorf does recommend putting your speakers right on the wall,but to avoid any corners.

I don’t agree with this but I have tried it in the past as a experiment,
the percent amount of correction needed will go way up,like in the 40’s or higher and the Lyngdorf will correct this,but your soundstage depth will narrow considerably and to my ears,the tone,timbre,and the aliveness or Immediacy of the music will not sound correct.It will sound artificial.

I think that they promote this just as a saleing feature of their product for modern homes that people don’t want speakers sticking out.Most people don’t have a dedicated listening room so their room is comprised some way or another.

I paired my 2170 with a pair of vintage Cornwall’s at a friends house,the room only 8x10 or 11 with those speakers right on the wall and the listening position only about 6 ft away.They needed 50% correction but that darn Lyngdorf totally transformed the sound to something I would classify as good but not great.

Basically you want to optimize everything in your system the very best that you can before running RP.

I get a few questions asking about the mic position when you are doing the focus position,which is the first mic position that you do.
I carefully measure the best that I can exactly where my nose is when I’m seated in my listening chair and I duplicate those measurements for the mic placement.Basically will place the mic centered between your ears.

If you guys didn’t know,after rp is set up you can add and store different focus positions.And once added you can select the different ones which is great for experimenting.You can also add and store a second set of speakers which will be selectable.I use this feature if I take the 2170 to someone else’s home to try in their system.Kinda cool huh.

The online manual explains these features.

Kenny.

I may have figured out why in my system with the 2170 that I can stream dsd 256 or 512 into the Lyngdorf via USB.Even though I know they say the limit is 128.I can do this with either Roons upsample engine or HQ player,and the difference maybe that I don’t install Lyngdorf’s plugin on my computer’s,I have 3 total,but I’m only currently using my latest one.

More experience with trial and error may be needed,As I’ve said before I mainly prefer 32/384 pcm the best even with the handful of Dsd recordings that are 64 or 128 that I own.

Anyway it’s all about the sound and this is a minor thing IMO.

Kenny.
In the next few days my dealer will send me a copy of the 3400 
owners manual and within a month I probably will be able to borrow one.Then I will be able to directly compare to to the 2170.

I see I’m missing some good posts here,
It’s kinda hard to type when I’m in a state of musical bliss,with many files queued up in Roon and my eyes closed.

I will try and read and answer later on,

Kenny.
essrand,
Excellant so glad you got to try one in your own system,that’s the best way.Who’s the dealer that you got it from.

Once you get the 2170 optimized in your system and broken in,you may forget all about the Ancient tubes,I know I certainly did.

mofojo,
I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me.

Totally stepped off the Amp,Dac,and Cable merry go round and don’t plan to get back on.

Kenny.
Unsound,
You wouldn’t be just negating just my experience,but many others as well in America and abroad.

You do bring up valid basic Acousical parameters that any room and or speaker combo compromise will have.

Honestly more “Experimentation” is needed in this area.
I’m currently still playing around with my newest speakers,Lawrence double bass,and they are sounding very good but I don’t know yet if I have done the best that they are capable of.I’ve only had them a week.

Another aspect that all of us deal with is recording quality that is all over the place and I do the best for me to find that happy medium.

More time will tell,
Kenny.
I also meant to add,what if a person has open baffle or other dipole speakers,that are typically never placed on the wall.Generally at least 3 ft or more away.

Kenny.
I agree,Kinda confusing to me,and other than the little bit of info that’s in the 2170 user online manual,I haven’t seen any other related setup advice.

Kenny.
What he said,
If a 2170 is above your current budget,I strongly urge you to wait or possibly seek a used one.They do pop up once in a while and their entire technology and build quality is very rock solid and I wouldn’t fear a used one from a reputable seller.

Best of luck to you,
Kenny.
Kalali,
You bring up a very good question and valid concern.

My quick answer,without writing a novel,would be to bring one in and try for yourself.That’s the only true way for you to find out.

You May Just Luv it or not.
Kenny.
radiohead99,

I haven’t got around to experimenting around with my system enough to give you a clear cut answer.

I’m not viewing anything other than dsd 128on the 2170’s screen but with my most powerful pc using Roon and HQ player and upsampling pcm or Dsd 64 to either Dsd 256 or 512 the path in Roon clearly shows these.

My newest and best sounding pc doesn’t have the horsepower to upsample beyond Dsd 128.

Now As I have stated before I greatly prefer all upsampling to be pcm 32/384, this gives me the best sound overall.

Dsd to my ears is just too smooth and I loose some snap,pop and realness,Just my opinion.

My pc uses windows server 2016,Roon Server,HQ player,Audiophile Optomizer,Fidelizer and nothing else.

I use a Ethernet cable coming from my Audiovox switch into a SOtM ultra 200 USB renderer and a USB cable from SOtM to the 2170.

I don’t use Asio,I take advantage of the simple Kernel Streaming.

I don’t have all the answers that may help you,I’m still learning all this high tech stuff myself,I was a old Analog guy for many yrs until about 6 months ago,in the meantime I have sold everything Analog related including large record collection.Yes my digital is that good.

If I discover anything else I will let you know,
Kenny.