Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 50 responses by uberwaltz

I have been in love with my 2170 since the morning I got it, ran the room perfect and just sat back and enjoyed the music with zero excess bass bloom .
I agree that speakers are best left in the position you get best sq without the room perfect on unless you have no choice.
This is what I did, ran 15 point mic session and was blown away by the solidity of the mid and lower bass without any unwanted boom.
The sweet spot seems to be extremely wide in my setup and although I play plenty of digital through it (Tidal and Vault 2 ripped cds) I have found the additional analog module with xlr inputs is also quite good. I still play vinyl through it and cassette analog to boot from my Nakamichi.
I use the digital out to feed a Burson headphone amp.
The software is extremely easy to use and setup and quite powerful and versatile imho.

The best all in one integrated I have tried in my system so far.
As others have said, in the real world with WAF room treatments are not always a viable option, this unit has made life easier all round in my home!
@robelvick.
 As I mentioned on another thread through my Dynavector. P75 mk3 I still consider vinyl to be more than good enough as it is only approx 20% of listening. May have lost a tiny amount of dynamics but not anything I went off to cry about!

Certainly nowhere near outweighed the many advantages I perceived
Please let us know your thoughts on the 3400!
Not had the 2170 long but if the 3400 is significantly better well......
I believe HiFi Heaven has the 3400 for $6499, $6899 with the optional analog input module same as I went with on my 2170, they are who I bought my 2170 from and a few other items before that
Good dealer with great customer service, my 2170 had moved a bit in shipping and the top case was scratched, they organised a brand new case top shipped direct from Denmark to me.
Correct aniwolfe, another reason I never even bothered with that. Bit cheap, sort of like the presets you find in a cheap car radio.....lol.
After reading up on the 3400, I may be as well to stay with my 2170.
Extra features I see.
More power 2x200w at 8 ohms
Aes/ebu digital input
Built in media server.

I use my Vault2 for media , playing my ripped cds and stream Tidal.
Will not get rid of it as then would lose ability to play my ripped cds so the built in media server on the 3400 is a little redundant for me.
More power...well always nice but I do not feel the 2170 is straining in my system so....
Aes/ebu input...... Do not have anything that has that type of output.

Will wait and see others thoughts and experience with the 3400.
I have not used the adjustable eq on the 2170, I just leave on neutral so that is not too important to me right now.
If the room perfect did its job correctly then there really should be no need to tweak the eq apart from personal preference
Totally agree with Grannyring.
I use Corepowertech equicore 1800 and one of their cpt power cords.
No separate wall socket for amp needed with the equicore 1800.
Not really noticed much sonic change from new tbh but plan to redo the mike measurement after about 500 hours or so just in case.
Omg, I would kill for a pair of Lawrence double bass. 
Need those 6 matching numbers for that though....ah well one day.
Please let us know how they sound with either Lyngdorf!
Robelvick

Glad it has surpassed your expectations, especially on vinyl, as u say possibly a mismatch previously, it happens.
As far as updating, sounds like you are going through the steps correctly, with one exception maybe.
Just one question, you are putting the thumb drive in the slot marked sw update?
And I think you have to insert it BEFORE you first power it off not after wards.
Mine updated first try, using a pretty old drive so I doubt it is your drives.

Try it again inserting before you power off .
Interesting.
If mine came with a Lyngdorf usb driver I did not see it and certainly did not use it.
Pretty old 1g drive I had lying around in the computer desk drawer.
Not really sure what might be going on with that.
Robelvick
Glad you got the update, never thought about the read me file, I must have left that out on my one and only update.
Since Christmas I have been in the same boat, at least 5 different integrated and none really "lit my fuse" until the Lyngdorf.
I would say I am at the same position as you, I can live with it for quite a while.
Anybody know if the 2170 has an internal fuse?
Can't seem to find the info in the manual or the net.
So is it one of the resettable type that seem to becoming more common, I had a few of those in a car I owned.
Good idea imho, acts more like a mini breaker.
Not opened it up but I doubt it is different.
Was just thinking aloud...lol
Not really one that can be swapped out for a SR Blue fuse then
@mofojo 
I just asked the dealer I bought mine from and they said as far as they are aware there are no plans to phase out the 2170 yet, the 3400 is seen and marketed as a higher end model, not as a replacement for the 2170.
Buy one you will not regret it!
@mofojo 

Maybe save $400 by not having the hdmi module unless you really have a use for it?
Maybe if you are integrating into a HT system I suppose?
Looks like we should have a few more 2170 converts shortly......
Please report back with your impressions!
Kenny
how is the sound of those beasts with the 2170?
congratulations, they are on my drool list
You really have hit the nail on the head with one word Kenny.
Fatiguing.
There is none, nada, nothing.
I can listen to my system for 12 hours solid, day after day after day.
And I believe mine is still breaking in with about 200 hours on it.
Mofojo.
That is a very good point for sure.
Pure and basic and quality is all I really need at this stage.
Kenny
They sound sublime! Definitely on my want list...someday!
I used all the proceeds from selling off seperates and cables to buy my daughter a new car...lol.
Oh well the 2170 still makes my old Wilson's do a disappearing act.

A question for all 2170 owners though.

Does anybody actually place their speakers in the corner or up against walls as Lyngdorf says you can and if so how good does it sound?
Or are the vast majority like myself tweaking speaker position as good as possible and THEN running the Rp service to render their speakers invisible.
Kenny
Yes I have loved the looks of the vast majority of the Lawrence line of speakers ever since I first cast eyes on a pair of Violins.
So glad you are happy with them and that they seem to work well with the 2170.

Old pair of Wilson Witt mk1.
Had to fit new tweeters, new mids and new crossover resistors from when i bought them as used and very abused specimens!
Probably would have been better off spending more up front on a pristine pair.
However I have to say since fixing them I have been relatively happy. Always had too much boomy bass in my room no matter the speakers but the 2170 has cured that.
Now it is deep controlled solid bass, the sort you feel when its wound up some!
Robert
You can use the digital out OR the analog single ended out, either work well and you can set the volume level of each for matching to a headphone amp.
I use a Burson headphone amp that has analog inputs and digital coax inputs ( usb too but I do not use that).
I actually found the analog inputs to be better on the Burson.
One nice thing on the 2170 is you can set the type of output, full range, headphone, tape out etc.
@essrand 

I guess you liked it then......

Enjoy the new journey. I am basically done now apart from tweaks and upgrades to my vinyl , new phono stage ordered this morning for example.
But I am off the amp, speakers, cables etc merry go round for now.
It looks like the 3400 also has built in media player and ability to tailor the room perfect curves rather than just a set of presets.
Maybe that is part of the appeal?

I know for sure I will wait until I hear some good solid reviews before stumping up near 7k.
@grannyring 
Totally understand your reticence to post exact details here when it is deeply involved and a warranty voiding matter.
Not sure as I personally want to or need to get that deep into it.....yet.
Radiohead

Stick with the equicore 1800 for sure!
Massive improvement when i bought mine.
I use mine with my own power cords and I have everything plugged into the equicore
Sounds interesting.
I already stream Tidal via spdif from my Bluesound vault2 and it sounds darn good.
No pc in my system anywhere.

Somebody here may find it useful though so thank you
I believe Grannyring did, sure I saw him mention the 2200 in other posts.
Hopefully he will see this and chime in
I use an Oppo BDP-95 for cd when I bother and tbh the SPDIF digital connection through the 2170 gave quite a bit better results than even the xlr inputs.
I do have an Oppo UDP-205 on its way so will have to see which rules on that combo but I think you will be very happy with the digital connection, the 2170 has one of the most natural sounding digital processing I have yet heard.
@kalali.

I think there have been some huge advances in room correction software over the last few years. Imho, the soundstage and dynamics especially in the Focus setting are extraordinary and have made me a believer.
mofojo

It is great right out of the box
But wait until you have a few hours on it, it just keeps on digging!
I think zero fatigue even with hours on end of listening is one of its class attributes.
When I am home I go through 6 to 8 hour sessions and never feel the need or desire to turn it off.
Enjoy
Question.

Is the internal 2170 DAC, MQA capable?
Can I send the MQA signal from my Vault 2 over via analog outputs and get full 24/192.
ATM I am sending via Digital and it is limited to 24/96

Thank you
Robert
So it sounds like it is pretty much irrelevant whether I send it 24/96 or 24/192 then so I think I will not worry about it further!
Me too
One reason why I went with the Bluesound Vault 2 so I would not have to deal with "real" computer audio.
I needed my system to be completely idiot proof, so my wife and daughter could operate it just by pushing a couple of buttons on a remote and a few swipes of the Bluos app on the iPad!
Robert
No doubt about it, the digital Output from the Vault is considerably better than the analog output.
Both read 96k on the info but its not even close in sq.
The analog version sounds like the top frequency regions have been severely truncated. Sounds lifeless and flat and uninspiring.
That I think is more a reflection of the mediocre Vault DAC than the analog inputs of the 2170.
Bullit
I completely agree that the direct analog in from a pure analog source, my Gold Note PH-10 phono stage sounds truly magical.
It was just the analog in from the Vault 2 DAC that left a lot to be desired.
The way the 2170 processes digital signals is something special for sure
Good to know Grannyring!
Let us know how easy it is to change, most likely just a ribbon cable 
My room is terrible acousticaly, one reason why I bought the 2170 and likely why I end up with high 37% room correction, it really is working to give me great sound
Definitely not what I wanted to hear!
Tbh I had never even touched the volume knob until I read that post, fortunately I see no issues.
However for $4k I better get a hell of a lot more than a year or so trouble free operation.
Can't say as I truly agree on the ugly statements about the 3400 imho.
If I wanted one it would definitely not deter me.
However I do not feel I truly need the extra power or the extra features that I am already covered with by other equipment.
Besides my 2170 is only about 3 months old, even I try not to upgrade quite that fast....lol
Why do you say that jcarcopo?
I have bought quite a number of items over last 5 years from them and never had an issue.
My 2170 came with a scratched top lid, I informed them and they organized a replacement top lid shipped to me direct from Lyngdorf.
Maybe I was lucky and never dealt with the owner direct, not sure tbh
Sorry you had a bad experience though, definitely not warranted in today's age of ever diminished hifi sales.
Not positive for a forward looking resaler
mofojo

You and me both on the room
Try 4 walls of glass and a tiled floor and a vaulted ceiling!
No wonder I found this amp to be a godsend and ended up with over 30% correction, thats how bad my room is!
Bullitt5094

No kidding!
You can tell who wears the pant in my house!
Seriously it is a Florida/Sun room.
The opening from the main house is two huge sets of glass sliding doors which take up one wall then 3 walls of 3/4 height glass windows.
Tiled floor, Vaulted ceiling so it gets a sloping roof for rain.
Now I do have wooden blinds on every external glass wall, huge thick floor rug and 3 large squishy sofas to help out with the audio.
Speakers are on maple block stands.
All in all it is not as terrible as it could be
But the 2170 was a huge break through and will be here for a while until the next best thing shows up....like a new house!