Tube Preamps under $10k with deep bass extension

I'm still goofing around looking for a good tube preamp. I'd like to hear from those who have auditioned some tube preamps on systems capable of 20hz. I auditioned a hovland HP 100 that had fantastic midrange but seemed to be missing a little bit of the lower octave. I'm new to the tube preamp arena and am unaware of which ones can make 20hz and which cannot. I've had some good responses to previous posts which have got me interested in Supratek, McIntosh, and CAT preamps. I also noticed some tube ringing at higher levels. Is this something I should expect or not?
holzhauer
i can see here the very wide meaning of phrase "under $10k" here especially for AI $1500 new?
there is also minimalistic AE3 that has the same level of performance at more less than half price AI but with smaller volume range and certainly gain(just 6dB), but the conversation here is to much higher levels of performance where preamp for the money spend should not bring neither brightness or dullness.
no comment about CAT though and that might be the the last one!
WIll be very interested in your findings, Rayhall. By the way, two tweaks for the First Sound that pay off handsomely: Siemens Gold Pin 7308 tubes (a little hard to find) and the Shunyata Taipan power cord.
I find the AI III to be underrated, even though it is considered to be an overachiever for its price. Of course, tube matching is important as well as overall system synergy, but I find that in several systems where I have heard it, it didn't suffer to a very significant degree to some highly regarded and some very expensive preamps. Dynamics and bass were outstanding. Neutrality was excellent. I find the AI to be neither bright nor dull. It lacked a little of the sweetness and air around instruments, but you could do a lot worse and spend a lot more money, even $10K. I am happy to spend as little as possible, where possible, for equipment and keep the difference in my pocket instead of someone else's. I never judge equipment by what it costs. Generally, I have not found cost to correlate all that well with the sound quality.
Drubin,

Didn't know about the Siemens 7308's. I do have an NOS pair of Siemens E88CC's lying around which didn't do much for the CAT. I like Telefunken E88CC's in the CAT, by the way. I do have a pair of NOS Tele 7308's, which I will try in the First Sound. They are a no no in the CAT. I have been searching the web and did run across several people saying the Shunyata Taipan works well with the F.S. Anyone got any to lend? I need two. I am broke! Really!
Rayhall, you're intriguing indeed! This is actually where I want to stand. How is built quality of AI and are there any upgrade paths?