Underestimated, song, artist or group '' gems'' ?

In any category of music you choose ( pop, opera, jazz, rock, folk - whatever ), I would like to find out about ''hidden gems'' - artists, groups or even songs and music that are not widely known or appreciated....you could include songwriters too.

I just feel that part of the excitement of discovering new music can also include past unknown gems that would be worth listening to....

Some of my ''underestimated'' favorites :

Many Elvis Costello tunes
Leonard Cohen's songs
Symphonic ''re-arrangements'' by Leppard in baroque music
The group ''Blue Rodeo''
The group (now extinct) Soul Attorneys - incredible, worth seeking out (Sony Music)
sonicbeauty
Interesting you mentioned Blue Rodeo, I'm a big fan of them (and they are excellent in concert too). I've extolled the virtues of Blue Rodeo (contry-rock stuff) and The Tragically Hip (intelligent and interesting rock) many times on this board but I have this feeling very few folks have taken the time to give them a listen.

I would suggest for those who haven't seriously considered Frank Zappa's music, take a moment and browse through his catalog. Rock, classical, jazz... pick your poison. Brilliant man, he's sorely missed.

Midnight Oil is an interesting rock act, politically driven lyrics in a straight ahead rock style. Wonderful band live. I would consider Midnight Oil and The Tragically Hip as very similar in fact.

I never really gave Tom Cochrane much credit until I purchased his box set, man he wrote a lot of really good tunes over the years!

There's a bunch of groups I enjoy but I'm not sure if other's are aware of them or not? Collective Soul, The Tea Party, Bruce Cockburn, Crowded House, The Fixx, Live, Our Lady Peace, Rough Trade, Saga, Simple Minds (early stuff).

I gotta get back to work! Jeff
Chris Whitley. He is quietly generating a large body of work. Good songwriter, great guitarist. The two albums I recommend are his first "Living with the Law" it got some airplay in the mid 90's and his last entitled " Hotel Vast Horzion". Enjoy...
Anything by Madredeus (Portugese band).
Anouar Brahem's, Le Pas du Chat Noire (Oud, Piano and accordian).
Deb Talan's two albums (Folksy female vocals and inteligent poetic lyrics - wonderful voice)
Richard Buckner, Devotion + Doubt, and Bloomed (a bit of a country western feel, but very original lyrics and music)

Marco
Great Big Sea, from St. John's Newfoundland
The Lowest Of The Low
Tragically Hip (Great call Steelhead!)
String Cheese Incident
The David Nelson Band (yes - David Nelson from the New Riders Of The Purple Sage)
Moxy Fruvous
Queens Of The Stone Age
Japancakes
Rilo Kiley
Pete Namlook
John Fahey
Global Communication
Lustmord
Michael Stearns
Steve Roach
Sleater Kinney
Rabbit In The Moon