Does Your Computer Sound Like a Jet Engine?????

Hey everybody. This thread is to inform everybody of a discovery I have made. I can now live in peace because my computer no longer sounds like a Jet Engine :) I changed my computer power supply and CPU fan with parts from www.quietpc.com. I can't hear my computer anymore... Since my computer is in the same room as my stereo system I can now leave it on and listen to music too :)
PS I have no affiliation with QuietPC.com...
buckingham
Hey guys, I see we have some computerphiles here too :)
I have tried all the fans listed above including the Enermax Whisper, which is falsely advertised as 'Whisper' when in reality it is much louder than standard Power Supplies. The Thermaltake Volcano 6 that I had previously had a cheap fan which also made lots of noise. I splurged on the silent power supply, silent case fans, Flower cooler for CPU and hard drive enclosure for my new Maxtor ata133. I have to put my ear next to the unit to hear if it's on... About 26db's, well below the measurement for a quiet room which is 28db. I'm running XP1700, 256 DDR, Geforce2 Ti200 32mb and 40gb maxtor. My Samsung 900NF makes more noise that the case.. I'm bringing the monitor in this week to see if it can be fixed (high pitched humming noise.) although this might be normal with the aperture grilles..

Yeah, my 3 year search for a quiet clone PC is now complete!
RE Mac G4... They're already damn quiet, but you could add the hard drive enclosure to further silence it.
Great info Buckingham. I looked at quietpc & will prob. get the case fan to start with.

Aroc, I have two computers with the same mobo, CPU & fan(everything else is different) and get different temps from the same computer depending where I look. One tower is stuffed in a desk w/the back removed & the other is in the open. The open air one always is cooler. Bios reading is ~33 C from the one in the desk & ~40 reading Sandra software. No add on sensor either. What's worse is the CPU fan speed. The Sandra shows ~2700 rpm while the Bios reads around 4600. Fan is rated 4500 +/- 10%.

No big deal as it's only a Duron 800 w/mild OC. I bought my first computer about three years ago & have started down the upgrade path with it recently. Now that I think of it there are scary similarities to audio. A main system & second system. Wanting more power, regardless of whether it's really needed. Eyes glazing over when...Somebody STOP ME!!!
Out of curiosity, what OS are you "computer geeks" using on a daily basis with your souped up puters ? Us "audio geeks" wanna know : ) Sean
>
I just built a XP1700 w/1gig DDR, G-force Ti 200 and the Volcano CPU cooler that is the NOISIEST dam thing I ever heard!!! CPU and MB Run very cool though. The noise level is just unaceptable it might be ok stuck under under a mattress or something though....jeeezzz.

I found a website called B-Quiet.com for different reason. The inside of the case is going to get lined with their Beaver tail sound deadener. We'll see how much this helps in
a few days. Otherwise its a new fan for the CPU.
Sean

I'm currently using the new Windows XP Professional with Office XP Professional.
It is the bomb!