Does Your Computer Sound Like a Jet Engine?????

Hey everybody. This thread is to inform everybody of a discovery I have made. I can now live in peace because my computer no longer sounds like a Jet Engine :) I changed my computer power supply and CPU fan with parts from www.quietpc.com. I can't hear my computer anymore... Since my computer is in the same room as my stereo system I can now leave it on and listen to music too :)
PS I have no affiliation with QuietPC.com...
buckingham
Great info Buckingham. I looked at quietpc & will prob. get the case fan to start with.

Aroc, I have two computers with the same mobo, CPU & fan(everything else is different) and get different temps from the same computer depending where I look. One tower is stuffed in a desk w/the back removed & the other is in the open. The open air one always is cooler. Bios reading is ~33 C from the one in the desk & ~40 reading Sandra software. No add on sensor either. What's worse is the CPU fan speed. The Sandra shows ~2700 rpm while the Bios reads around 4600. Fan is rated 4500 +/- 10%.

No big deal as it's only a Duron 800 w/mild OC. I bought my first computer about three years ago & have started down the upgrade path with it recently. Now that I think of it there are scary similarities to audio. A main system & second system. Wanting more power, regardless of whether it's really needed. Eyes glazing over when...Somebody STOP ME!!!
Out of curiosity, what OS are you "computer geeks" using on a daily basis with your souped up puters ? Us "audio geeks" wanna know : ) Sean
>
I just built a XP1700 w/1gig DDR, G-force Ti 200 and the Volcano CPU cooler that is the NOISIEST dam thing I ever heard!!! CPU and MB Run very cool though. The noise level is just unaceptable it might be ok stuck under under a mattress or something though....jeeezzz.

I found a website called B-Quiet.com for different reason. The inside of the case is going to get lined with their Beaver tail sound deadener. We'll see how much this helps in
a few days. Otherwise its a new fan for the CPU.
Sean

I'm currently using the new Windows XP Professional with Office XP Professional.
It is the bomb!
I was a hard core Linux user, but since administering Windows NT and 2000 Server pays the bills, I run the OSes as much as I can.

My main home rig (Athlon w/ cheetah) is running Windows 2000 Professional with Office 2000 SBE. Currently Windows 2000 is my OS of choice. (Been running NT-based OSes on the desktop since 3.51)

I have several other frankenstein lab machines, most which multiboot NT 4 ws/srv, 2000 pro/srv, and XP pro. Those are my "lab" PCs that I use for self-paced training in my basement. I own NT4 server, but the 2000 Server is the 120 day eval copy. Which isn't a problem since I use to to run Citrix MetaFrame, which has to be reinstalled every 35 days, anyway. FWIW, other than that, I'm legit.

I'd like to get a copy of Office XP mess around with. I hear nothing but Good Things(tm) about it!