Any DIYer s out there ?

I know from reading some of the posts that there are other "DIYer's" out there. For those that don't know what "DIY" means, it is an acronym for "Do It Yourself". I'm particularly interested in knowing what you folks have built or modified. You can go into as much or little detail as you like. Since i started the thread, i'll do the first post.

I started off by trying several different "homebrew" speaker cables. From there, i went into building interconnects and then power cords. Somewhere along the way, things got more serious and i began to tear into existing designs and "make them better". I've modified a couple dozen sets of speakers, built and desiged speakers from scratch, modified amps and am even building one from "accumulated parts". I've also built sound absorption panels and bass traps courtesy of Jon Risch's website.

I've continued doing this as i find great pleasure in knowing that i helped contribute to the enjoyment of both my system and several others in a "special" way other than just by assembling the various components. It also keeps me out of trouble and minimizes cash outlay for "manufactured" goodies. After all, what one can buy for $1 can be made for $0.25 to $0.60 and be done MUCH better.

Anybody else like doing this kind of stuff ? Don't be shy or modest. Tinkerer's are welcome and PLEASE, go in to detail about your favorite "projects". Sean
>
sean
I recently built an amp using Amplimo modules. Two years ago, I built a Marchand cross-over kit. In my youth I built dynacos and heath kits. I have also built several speaker systems that all exceeded my expectations, that I continue to use. Currently, I am ressurecting a "Daniel" pre-amp that had been reduced to a bag of parts. I would like to build a "pre pre-amp" for a moving coil cartridge but have yet to find a suitable circuit. It is great fun!
Sean, I noticed in another post that you are an EE. I am also but the twist in my case was the degree was an attempt to understand the reproduction of music. To that end EVERY part of my system has the DIY touch. BTW I had a Pass A40 for a few hours untill it over heated!!!
Rjf, a long time ago I built a Marshal Leach pre-pre amp. It was battery powered and was quite good. Dr. Leach has a web site and I think the schematic is still on it. I also had a Daniel. I can clearly remember how good Cat sounded with that rig even though it was so long ago.

Chris
Great thread! I have been DIYing everything I have owned for years! As an Electrical Engineer, I have discovered that virtually every component or speaker can be improved regardless of price. For example; Dunlay speakers : change out the Inductors, Capacitors and Resistors with quality parts (from Northcreek for instance). And by all means use impedance compensating networks across the drivers! With these improvements, these speakers are DRAMATICALY improved. Why more high end speakers don't use zobel network across each driver is a mystery to me. This is a no brainer mod for any speaker that does not have them , and most do not. Amplifiers: use black gate capacitors in the power supply, parallel high quality film caps across each and every fuse (except power supplies), and for the more advanced, rebuild the front end and output stages (non tube designs) with better transisitors which have high slew rates, fast settling times and symetrical distortion characteristics. Also, make sure that all transistors use active FET current sourcing (as compared to the resistor passive sourcing on the transistor leg). For example; Aragon amplifiers will dramaticaly improve with this mod. The cost? $12.00! Cables: build your own, save a fortune, and learn to detest those stupidly expensive "recomended" brands. My favorite? Stan Warrens T1 design (He can also build these for you at a very resonable price, if you don't want the hassle). These cables are way, way up there sonically, and have NO identifying signature, as compared to many other super expensive brands. Cd players and DACs; Strip out the output devices and replace them with a real output stage. Again if this is too much for you, Stan Warren is a great source, for this kind of mod (along with digital filter and power supply enhancements). In the end, DIYing will give you sound improvements that YOU CANNOT BUY, FOR ANY PRICE! I and others have examined quite a bit of the high end stuff out there, and unfortunately, it seems as if every "audiophile" manufacturer somehow misses the boat, with his design execution. Ironicaly, the above modifications that I have breifly described are NOT advanced thinking!. They are basic improvements that any competant engineer should utilize. Yet so many of the big name companies don't! (I wish this wasn't the case , I am fortunate enough to afford some of the more exotic stuff, and really don't have the time to do the above mods. Sometimes it takes me over a year to finally finish some of the more advanced DIY projects). For the rest of you who just want to save money, the above DIY recomendations will make you think twice about spending stupid money on high end gear. I'm sorry to say that most of the so called "high end" companies, are NOT the gestalt, that everyone seems to think they are. Have fun DIYing, learn to love music (not equipment), and save that money for your kids college education. If you don't have kids, spend your savings on more pizza, cars, beer and women! (Not necessarily in that order...Ha!)
Just to correct an error or misconception here, i am not an EE and have never been to any formal "school" for electronics. I am pretty much "self taught" via personal study while receiving "insights" from friends that are EE's or folks with their bachelors. Combine this with a LOT of hands on experience and that's where i fall into the game. As such, i am always willing to learn but am also limited in my current understanding and level of electronics knowledge. As was mentioned in previous threads though, this hasn't stopped me from working on electronics for a living or as a design consultant for over a half dozen manufacturers in my field of work.

In some ways, not being "trained" to look at things from a "conventional" textbook point of view has helped me. In other ways, my lack of formal training also puts me at a disadvantage compared to others that may have a better fundamental knowledge of what is going on in a complex circuit. Between my business partners degree and studies in electronics and my hands on experience, we have been able to work together quite advantageously though.

If i offended some EE's in one of my other posts, i do applogize. I have a great amount of respect for those that have formal educations in ANY field. It takes a LOT of patience and hard work to achieve what they have done. However, i do have to say that i have even more respect for those that make use of that knowledge and are NOT content to sit on their laurels. Push the envelope of your knowledge and skills, for your own sake. Sean
>