Diving back into analog...which turntable to buy

Ive tried this a few years ago with a LP12 table and could never get it to sound as good as my digital so off it went.Im determined to get a table and make it work...So im willing to spend up to a grand,nothing more.What do I buy used or new.Looking for an easy to setup and maintain belt drive table.Thanks in advance
missioncoonery
If you want to spend is $1,000 dollars it is doubtful that you will find anything that consistently sounds as good as digital. In my experience, digital at it's best takes a lot of beating. I currently have over $12K in my TT/phonostage/cartridge vs. about $2K in my digital Sony HAP-Z1ES and very often digital sound is still king, although it varies by recording and particularly the master.
I recommended a used Scout. Johnnyb53 recommended the new Pioneer that people seem to like very much. Eventually, you'll get recommendations for a Rega P3, Pro Ject and an entry level Nottingham or Thorens. All good TT's. I still would pick the VPI because it sounds great stock and has the best upgrade path.

Another option would be to use a dealer that knows what they're doing. For what you're looking to do, I would call Larry at Hollywood Sound in Hollywood FL. I've done business with him in the past, and he's the best at getting the most value for your dollar. All he does is TT's and should have anything you want in stock. I know several other AQ members that can confirm he's a good person to do business with.
VPI? Not sure if it'll cut it given that the OP didn't like his LP12. Forget about the elastic band hypothesis, the Pioneer is cheap and good and is what the OP wants to spend on a secondary source.
"09-03-15: Noromance
VPI? Not sure if it'll cut it given that the OP didn't like his LP12."

The design is completely different on those TT's. I don't see why not liking the Linn would be a factor.
Zd542 has hit the nail on the head. Rather than listening to individuals stating their personal preferences it's far easier to walk out of your front door and visit a dealer that has a number of such products in stock. A good dealer will give you the opportunity to decide (for however long and however MANY visits it takes). Ultimately you will reach your own decision about what you prefer and this, for you, will be the most satisfying way to do it. It is also the only way to guarantee that you will be truly happy (or at least as happy as modest budgets allow).
The only exception to this is if you were buying an obscure model with no dealer support. Often those manufacturers do demos on site.

Most of us will have done it this way ourselves. For some, T/T buying is like housebuying : you start with something modest and before you know it you've progressively upgraded to a Walker "Proscenium". ;^)

Turntable selection is a very subjective process. One man's meat literally can be another man's poison hence the existence of suspended vs unsuspended vs direct drive etc cliques. Doesn't mean they cannot appreciate the beauty of other solutions (they may even own a few others), just that they bought their own prize turntable for good reason.
Hope this helps.